betta travel

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This weekend I'm going home for the 4th of July I'm pretty sure Inari needs to come with me 'cause well he needs to eat and have attention besides idk what my room will be doing while i'm gone (WAY hot, way cold, ect) so I can monitor this easier, what is the best way to transport the little dude? I have a 1 gallon tank for him,(yes i know bad me i'll beat myself up for it later ) is it alright to transport him in that and how full should the water be? is half ok? I know i'm still a total noob at this but hey better to ask now than just kinda do it....
thanx

Brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The usual method of transport is in a plastic bag inside of a styrofoam cooler (6 pack size) with a small heat pack that has been heated in a microwave and then wrapped in a couple of layers of newspaper.  Then the very best is to get a battery operated Air Pump and use it to pump air into the water so they have a lot of oxygen.  They are fairly cheap and you can get them at most fish stores.  I am just giving you this link to show you what they look like and about what they are like.

They are reusable and are great to have on hand in case of power failures. They can keep your fish alive if the filter and airstone in the tank quit working. He could probably make it without an airstone for the weekend but this would help him a lot. Otherwise get a good clean clear plastic bag (like a good quality food storage bag that will hold water) and put in a 6 pack cooler and keep the bag sealed and filled with air. (leave air in bag) Also do not feed him while he is in the bag or for the 24 hours before he goes into the bag so there will be less waste for toxic substances to develop while he is in there.) It will not hurt him that is the way they prepare fish to ship them when they are purchased and mailed to their buyers. I know because all of my fish have come to me by UPS or USPS.

Really the best thing for him would be to stay home in his own little bowl. Unless the temperature is going to be over 90 degrees at the place you are staying or under 75 then he will probably be okay for a few days. The trip will stress him some and the conditions cannot be perfect. He could get cut fins or just get his system out of shape. He will be happier at home even though he will be very happy to have company when you come home. The only way I would suggest the trip is if you were going to be gone for several days (more than 3 or 4) and no one could look in on him for you. I was just in the hospital unexpectedly for 5 days and no one took care of my little folks and they did without food and water changes. They were SO happy to see me but they were okay. Give it some thought but do as you wish.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
While I'd consider giving it a miss too, bettas are tough fellows and you as Rose said need to make sure that there's adequate temperature, access to air, and a minimum of jostling.

But she's also right in that he'll probably be just fine if you leave him home over the long weekend.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I saw in LPS there are 'auto feeders' they dissolve in the water would that be an idea if i'm gone for a huge amout of time, IE 1 week+

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend vacation feeders for a betta. I tried some. My betta wouldn't touch it and all it did was foul the water. Bettas can go 2 weeks without food and be perfectly fine. I have one at my office that doesn't get fed on weekends (and sometimes 4-day weekends) and he's quite healthy.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom is right, most fish can go 2 weeks without eating. Even tho its probably mean, but I think its better than having him stressing out in a little ziplock bag.

Maybe too, with all the water moving and everything from the trip, he might get sea sick.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ecnaj143 said:
Boxermom is right, most fish can go 2 weeks without eating. Even tho its probably mean, but I think its better than having him stressing out in a little ziplock bag.

Maybe too, with all the water moving and everything from the trip, he might get sea sick.
Sea sick that hilarious anyway thanx guys

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist. I was thinking about him getting car sick. But it wasn't as funny.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
u have a point there car sick isn't as funny as sea sick u know the rocking of the boat right

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have all made excellent points and yes they can go without eating for some time. I do not know if I would go any where near 2 weeks but like I said I had no choice in leaving mine for 5 days and they were fine. I have had a similar bad experience with the "Feeders". If they do not have the particular type and brand of food mine will eat I may as well throw it out. It is better to have no food that food rotting in the tank.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok i was just worried about ppissing him off thats all and if i leave him resume normal feedings??

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
**** him off? ROFL

Don't overfeed him before you leave or after you come back. Normal feedings both times.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't worry, he will be very glad to see you when you get home.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's like '**** off' a child who doesn't want his snowsuit on. It's snowsuit or frostbite. He'll get over it.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
poefox said:
It's like '**** off' a child who doesn't want his snowsuit on. It's snowsuit or frostbite. He'll get over it.
Or a child who doesn't want want on the floation device so they don't drowned. But I wonder, do you think a fish could drowned. Maybe thats what happens when their not in water. But then that wouldn't be called drowning now would it?? So what would it be called??

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok last time i put him on a fast for 24 hrs he didn't even look at me for about three days i'd say he wasn't too happy

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas are Labyrinth fishes as are Gouramis and if they are not able to get to a clean surface to use that organ to breathe air in much the same way that we do, they most certainly can and will drown.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He will get over it. Rusty did, just about fifteen minutes ago, in fact. Remember, he might get fussy or petulant but bettas are actually fairly smart and will learn from experience.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh goodness! If I never did anything that might upset one of my little crew, I would never get to do anything in any room of my house. With 6 of them, I can never satisfy everyone. If Marty gets fed first, then Noel is out of sorts with me or vice versa. If I get up and walk out of the bedroom without feeding Jasymn and Sara then they are mad. If I make Misty get out of the crack between the heater and the filter then she sulks. But yes they do get over it and by the next feeding time usually all is forgiven. You so do have to be the one in control. (as much as I love them I have to be the final authority and the real boss) :

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom