betta training

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by wonton55912, Mar 26, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

has anyone here trained a betta?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

of course ;) mine vacuum once a week and cook dinner on fridays ;)

3. OP
    OP
    w

lol.... I am trying to teach Brian (my betta) to jump out of the water on command. i was wondering if i did this with a hand signal he would learn.

4. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing

5. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Shawnie!!!! I wish mine would do that..., but I wouldn't trust them near the microwave, I would remove that to be safest!

I think fishtroy has, but she's not been on in a few days. When she comes back, she'll see this (I'll point the thread out to her so she has a look, ok!)

6. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I halfway trained my betta to jump thro a hoop I made out of a straw and she would but she wouldn't do it on hand signal.

7. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi! Yes, I have trained several of my bettas to do tricks.
    Hand signals are very effective. If you have an intelligent betta you can use hand signals and vocal commands and eventually remove the hand signals to make your betta respond to voice alone.
    I have not trained mine to jump out of the water, I would be a bit scared that the betta would practice the trick without me and fall out of their tank. But many have performed the trick on natural talent of their own accord! LOL.

The other question is whether you are going to offer food rewards. I have never used food as a way to get my bettas to perform. They either do it for the love of learning and the love of me or they just dont. I used praise to reward my bettas and I ended up with attention junkies!

What is your betta like? Does his personality show that he would like to learn? Has he displayed intelligence? I know that is takes a special kind of betta to learn tricks.

If you have any questions feel free to private message me, I am always happy to help! :)

8. D

DaveofTN Valued Member Member

That is amazing, I never knew you could train a betta?!? Or are you guys kidding?

9. B

Borisbbadd Guest

I've never trained a betta.....but a betta has trained me !!!

10. OP
    OP
    w

my tank has a lid. i offer a tiny flake for rewards. he is a little agressive but will do anything for food if he is in the front of the tank

11. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

How are you getting him to perform the trick? Do you have a method? Has he done it yet? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I'm trying to picture where you are at.

DaveofTN: Yes, I am 100% serious. I have my Wonderfish Achilles on video. He was the smartest fish ever!

12. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

You simply *must* share that video!!

13. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

:;laughing:;hi2

14. Tigerfishy

Well, I've asked to see that vid too, but she can't find it (she has many numbers of fishy vids it could be anywhere!). I have seen Achilles follow her finger round and about in fingers. He was in his water, she had her finger above the surface, no food, no fingers on the side of the tank, and he followed it round in circles, figures of eight, to each side of the tank... He never got bored like my boys do, he just kept going lol!!

15. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I saw this training kit the other day...the demo is for goldfish, but it's probably similar. Anyway, check out the video:  

16. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I train my Betta's to balance their kids on their heads lol

Attached Files:

17. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

How precious! I love that pic!

18. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That is one of my all-time favorite pics! I love it!

19. Tigerfishy

I love that pic, how did you manage to get that!!!?? It's very sweet and shows you how tiny really they are at the start!

20. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Just a lucky shot...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice