betta Training? roll over, good boy!

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok just a very strange random thought. So while I was procrastinating doing my assignment talking to Anchovey (he is my betta and yes i talk to my fish even though they probally cant hear me), since betta are considered intelligent compared to other fish and are very food orientated, do you think you could train them? (Theatrically) like roll over, sit good boy. lol

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Probably not theatrically, but it can be done to a degree. Fishtroy did it with her Achilles! He came over when she called on him, he would follow her finger around in any pattern without a food treat as an incentive...

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
personally, it looks cool but i think its cruel! Its the same for the circus!

But I believe that fish should be kept in as close to their natural habitat as possible, so that you can see them doing what they would do in the wild! So, in both of my tanks, I have real plants and other decor.

Just my 2 cents

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't think it's any more cruel than teaching your dog tricks, personally. I'd like to eventually teach Nelson, if he wants to learn. I would never try to force him to learn, but if he wants to, I think it would be a great way for us to interact with each other!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My Draconis (avatar boy) is a nutter. He thinks that he has to "earn" his food. Self taught, I never encouraged this. He is an intelligent cup-boy! When he sees me approach, he does the usual dance. No big deal, this is normal. But then I open the lid, and he faces the top, dead still, no movement, waiting. When he sees my hand approach, he has to jump up to try to hit it so the food falls out (in his mind, it must be like a button or something!).

So now my method of trying to get him to stop this is to throw the food in from further back so he does not get the chance to see the hand behind the lid and the food seemingly falls in from nowhere! Yes he is a nutter, but we wouldn't have him any other way!

On the other hand, my brother's betta flares for food. When the lid opens, he flares as he comes over and he gets food. When he's ready, he flares again. When he has had his meal he calmly swims off like normal. He is a very laid back boy and totally non-aggressive, but again feels the need to do tricks for food for NO reason, he's getting it anyway! I don't know how to stop him...

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
personally, it looks cool but i think its cruel! Its the same for the circus!

But I believe that fish should be kept in as close to their natural habitat as possible, so that you can see them doing what they would do in the wild! So, in both of my tanks, I have real plants and other decor.

Just my 2 cents
I wouldn't think it's cruel if the animal or fish isn't forced to do the trick just like mentioned above. If they're forced or abused just to do a trick, then we can call it cruel. But in this case, it's the fish's freewill.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you really wanted to keep fish in their natural habitats then we shouldn't keep them in tanks at all.

.... just getting a mental image of your own personal 10X10 foot rice paddy pond built in a greenhouse--lol

Now that would be a cool 'tank' to go visit! ;D

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've heard of members training their bettas, but in our house, my fish train me.

All jokes aside, working with the animals, be they fish, dogs, snakes, whatever, increases the bond and the trust level.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do agree with lucy, but I like keeping them in as natural habitats as they would have in the wild, but still in an aquarium...

if it is the fish's free will such as tigerfishys, I think she is doing the right thing...

If I had a dog, I would teach it to be obedient (so it wont kill me!), but thats about it...

I'm just not a fan of training animals

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All but one of my bettas will jump out of the water for their bloodworms on the end of a toothpick. But I think they're just hungry, not trained! But I think you could do it since you can train goldfish to do tricks, why not a betta?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oooh, I never heard of that in goldfish either lol!

My horses love being ridden, I have a feeling they would try to nab a human to get on even if they were wild just to get a nice walk!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom