Betta Thinks Snail Is A Rock?

1. EmmyFish

EmmyFish Valued Member Member

I think my Betta, Sir Philippe, is confused about his new pet snail. Was fine for an hour then he swam up to the snail and flared up at it. Then he proceeded to try and lay on the snail.
    Philippe likes laying on river rocks and I think he's confused because the snail blends in with the river rocks and basically looks like a moving river rock. Will Philippe get use to the snail? It's a Black Nerite (maybe sure to stay away from brighter colors and patterns). I hope he gets use to the snail.

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

That's the absolute best case scenario. Bettas are curious fish, but they are not social and are more than happy to be alone.

If they have tankmates, it's safest for everyone if the betta can ignore them.

That's why snail = rock is as good as it gets.
    Same goes for ghost shrimp = dirt.

3. OP
    OP
    EmmyFish

Well he is very curious about it. How long should I wait and see before deciding on whether or not to remove the snail? I don't want my boy stressed out.

4. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

can someone right a children's book about this? this concept is too adorable "why is my bed moving?"

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

He won't be stressed about the snail either way. :)

6. Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord Valued Member Member

in my opinion you should make sure they get along in any situation but you seem like you wont have a issue

7. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

This happened with my friends convict. Her pair actually laid eggs on the snails shell (poor snail couldn't move without being attacked)

In your case, I think it has a much better outcome since the snail isn't guarded from itself by angry parents

8. OP
    OP
    EmmyFish

Are you sure :( I took the snail out because it went near his bubble nest and he wouldn't stop flaring.

9. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

i'm pretty sure he will get over it once he realized that the snail isn't bothering it. i've never heard of any behavioral issues between a betta and a snail

10. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

It is good for a betta to flare from time to time. Builds up their egos. Lol

Keep the snail in with the betta. It will all settle down in just a few days. It would be pretty difficult for the betta to harm the snail. And the snail certainly can't harm the betta in any way. So it will all be ok.

11. OP
    OP
    EmmyFish

I fear he already has a pretty large ego :rolleyes: