Betta Temporary Tank Size

faywayway

So I just made a quick stop to Petco to try to return some betta fish pellets that my boy wouldn't eat (I couldn't ), and I found this gorgeous girl betta sitting in one of the many cups on their betta shelf. Idk if you can experience love at first sight w a fish haha but I immediately got the urge to get her. That probably sounds stupid.... I didn't though, but I'm still thinking about it. I do have two tanks at home that I could keep her in. One is a cycled one gallon that I kept my current male betta in for a week in quarantine, and he did fine in there. The other tank I have is a 2.5 gallon that is currently cycling.

So my question is, would it be fine to keep her in the 1 gallon tank (w lots of frequent water changes) until the 2.5 gallon one cycles? Then let her live in the 2.5 gallon until I could possibly get a larger tank for her? I know some people recommend 5 gallons minimum but there are plenty of people who have successfully kept them in 2.5 gallons right? She's still young and small rn too. And like i said, it would only be temporary if you guys recommend that she need something bigger in the future.

Thanks!

Freshfishguy

So I just made a quick stop to Petco to try to return some betta fish pellets that my boy wouldn't eat (I couldn't ), and I found this gorgeous girl betta sitting in one of the many cups on their betta shelf. Idk if you can experience love at first sight w a fish haha but I immediately got the urge to get her. That probably sounds stupid.... I didn't though, but I'm still thinking about it. I do have two tanks at home that I could keep her in. One is a cycled one gallon that I kept my current male betta in for a week in quarantine, and he did fine in there. The other tank I have is a 2.5 gallon that is currently cycling.

So my question is, would it be fine to keep her in the 1 gallon tank (w lots of frequent water changes) until the 2.5 gallon one cycles? Then let her live in the 2.5 gallon until I could possibly get a larger tank for her? I know some people recommend 5 gallons minimum but there are plenty of people who have successfully kept them in 2.5 gallons right? She's still young and small rn too. And like i said, it would only be temporary if you guys recommend that she need something bigger in the future.

Thanks!
Betta tank sizes and bettas in general produce a lot of controversy lol. Keeping her in the 1 gallon while the 2.5 gallon cycles would be totally fine IMO—much better than the cup at Petco. 2.5 is the absolute minimum for a betta, although tons of people on here might say 5 or 10 minimum, but that plan is good IMO. Ideally 5 gallons or larger for a betta if you want them to really thrive.

Upvote 0

darkcat

Hi!!
I know how you feel when you look at those cute bettas!! If I were you, I would get another 2.5 gallon or more because it's small and also, when you have more water changes it can stress your betta fish. So maybe have her in the 1 gallon until you get another tank? I'm a newbie so, don't just rely on me. Bye!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Is the one gallon cycled? If not then why not just do a fish in cycle in the 2.5 gallon? And eventually you really should upgrade to a 5 gallon. Just because a fish is surviving doesn’t mean it’s thriving

Upvote 0

betta06

so I do have a male betta in a 2.5 right now and he seems happy but i still prefere 5 gallons or bigger and he will be upgraded to a 5 gallon (hopefully very soon) because yours is a female i would say at least 5 gallons as she will be a lot more active without the long fins dragging her down.

and I think a 1 gallon would be okay for a few days as long as you keep up on water changes.

Upvote 0

darkcat

Is the one gallon cycled? If not then why not just do a fish in cycle in the 2.5 gallon? And eventually you really should upgrade to a 5 gallon. Just because a fish is surviving doesn’t mean it’s thriving
Good point!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishAndDoom
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
Replies
Views