Betta Temporarily 'blind'

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jl_1005, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

As anyone experienced the same:

I came home late today. It had been dark for a couple of hours. When I turned on the lights in the room, my betta must have been woken up. And he was swimming around the walls of the tank, and running into the wall or thermometer, as if couldn't see.

He's a perfectly healthy betta, always has a good appetite. The only time I saw him swim like that was in the 60 seconds after I switched the lights on.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Most likely it's because the room was dark, and they don't like sudden light changes.
    I need to start waiting for the sun to light the room, and then turn the tank on.

3. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Did your mother ever come into your room early in the morning, throwing open the curtains and near on burning your eyes out?

Bettas don't like it either ;)

4. DeerPark

DeerPark New Member Member

When I used to turn the light on in the morning, my angel fish would always lose his bearings and take a minute or two to relax from the sudden light change. I have since relocated my tank and positioned it next to a window. By the time I turn the light on, the sun has already risen and there is no sudden light change when turning the light on. Fish love and need routine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice