Help Betta Tapeworms?

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have been having problems with my betta since January. He’s had nonstop finrot/biting. I tried putting in Betta Spa yesterday, but it made his condition way worse, so I put in carbon today to remove it. This is the second time his fins have horribly degraded overnight after giving him Betta Spa. A film also appeared on the surface.

I am going to put salt in his tank and try to do daily water changes. Hopefully is will help his fins without corroding something this time.

In addition, for the past week, he’s been having strange poos that are stringy-er than normal. It looks like he ate bloodworms, but I haven’t given him bloodworms in weeks because they don’t seem to agree with him. He has a normal appetite, but his poo looks different.
11C8D532-7A52-4AA4-A4AF-8A8C7036525F.jpeg
9106A7FA-DC0F-4C33-8735-5ED66F39D8C3.jpeg
DED4FCDE-34B6-42EE-8F5E-7C349B85C755.jpeg

This poo is really small and skinny. The middle picture has broken up poo because I tried to pick it up to look at it.

I don’t get why this is happening, because I clean his tank 25-50% twice a week. Surely having a couple pieces of poo on the bottom of his tank for a day or two doesn’t warrant catastrophic problems.

I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried daily water changes, NaCl, Kanaplex, Betta Spa, carbon... Nothing I do helps him. It always comes back worse a week later.
Salt seemed to help him the most, but it corroded a thermometer, which then made everything so much worse.

OP
WrenFeenix

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SaltyPhone said:
Tried an antibiotic such as erythromycin?
I try to avoid erythromycin because I’ve already tried Kanaplex, and it has a tendency to nuke my filter bacteria.

OP
WrenFeenix

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SaltyPhone said:
I’ve used erythromycin with great success never noticed a change with bio filtration.
Thank you for your suggestion, but it doesn’t agree with my filter bacteria. Kanaplex/kanamycin is also in the same class as erythromycin, so picking an antibiotic in a different class would be better; like doxycycline. I might go get doxycycline... Hmm, I wonder if there’s any API Fin and Body Cure available locally for less than my first-born child.

New Threads