Betta Tankmates

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

What would be a great tankmate for a male betta in a 20 gallon?
    I am asking you to not suggest me shrimp, snails, or bottom feeding fish. I am not sure about those choices at the moment.

I am looking for a fish that is small, or compatible with a betta.
    I have kept fish with bettas before, those were Celestial Pearl Danios, those worked for a long time :)

2. N

NeonTetraBoi New Member Member

Anything that is not aggressive and is not colorful preferably schooling fish so if it does pick on them it doesn't just pick on one

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

You presumably know the risks, and plan to have a heavily scaped tank with many line of sight breaks? And a backup tank for the betta?

A couple of options would be something that swims very quickly, like a standard danio. Nice looking in groups, hardy, and uses most of the tank.

Or, you could try a top swimmer like a hatchet, or maybe pencil fish (check temp compatability.)

Or something that would push back if harassed like a skirt tetra.

Disclaimer: The only other fish I have kept with bettas was other bettas and guppies. Sometimes the guppies mysteriously disappeared .

4. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I love harlequin rasboras, they are peaceful, won't overpoputate, and come from the same area as bettas :)

5. N

NeonTetraBoi New Member Member

I've kept neon tetras, mollies, and danios in a 30g and it worked fine

6. maggie thecat

A 30 gallon is a larger volume of water, and bettas come in a wide range of temperaments. More space does not necessarily guarentee a mellow betta, so caveats are always necessary .

7. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Some say female guppys work with bettas in such a large tank with lots of plants. Or i heard kuhli loaches can work too.

8. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Gah! I get all these posts for not checking in on this thread! :)

Hello Maggie! Yes, I do have it heavily planted :) I also will have a backup for the betta, but I can just as easily take the other fish back.
    What type of danio, like a zebra?

I really love Harlequins too, they are cute :)

My brother kept Kuhlis with his betta in the 20 long, they were great until they died off :(

9. maggie thecat

Yep. I was thinking zebras. I like leopards too, but zebras are tough little sons of guns.

Kuhli loaches are great, but I would be concerned about their nighttime antics cheesing off the betta. Maybe an issue or not. Depending on the betta.

10. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

I am really just looking for an active fish that I constantly see.
    I'll check out the danios at my LFS and see if I can get some.

I get out of school on Tuesday, so I can do anything after that! :)

11. maggie thecat

Good luck with your new stocking!

12. chloep123

chloep123 Valued Member Member

As brilliant as I find danios, if you are looking for a lovely peaceful tank, they can be a bit speedy! Sometimes it seems to annoy the bettas too... once again it depends on the temperment. Of course their speed means they avoid any harm but I don't like the thought that I am adding stress to my bettas. As well as this, one of my older danios once lost an eye, I am not sure if it was the betta or the angelfish (a bad idea to keep them together but desperate times call for desperate measures, and they were in fact happy together! I moved him out soon after)

I don't know, just a word of warning from personal experience. Keep your eyes peeled, mine was fine for ages but you can never be too careful :p

13. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

I don't really see how bettas and zebra danios are temperature compatible?

14. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

They really aren't. I have glowlight tetras with mine.

15. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Alright, so I want a great tankmate that I can keep with my betta.
    I safe that Sheila from LWP had platies with her betta. I didn't know if that was suitable.

16. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Platies can be a toss up due to their coloration. Nothing is 100% guarantee. I have had murderess guppies. Lol. I have been hesitant to try too many other fish in my tank with the bettas so as far as experience its kinda limited.

17. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

Don't go with danios as they all need cooler water (and they can be quite nippy). Neon tetras also need cooler water. Glowlight tetras or harlequin rasboras are your best option other than temp compatible bottom dwellers.

18. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Thanks! :)

19. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Yeah it was just a idea, Someone gave it to me as a suggestion in a female betta sorority.