Betta Tankmates Important

1. Betta.Gourami.Guppy Initiate Member

I want to get a Betta for my 140 litre tank, I so far have kept one Male Betta in there which I eventually moved and it died not too long ago, my 140 litre has five guppies, one blue coral gourami, three Kuhli loaches, two bristlenose catfish, six neon tetras, one scissor tail rasboras and one flying fox algae eater (I think that's what it's called?)
    I know gourami don't usually mix so I plan to move him into my other tank with three harlequin rasboras, four swordtail and one bristlenose catfish. I was wondering if the fish in the 140 litre would mix well with a peaceful Betta fish, the photo is my 140 litre. 2baf755ac984245c42db429e9a5f0f98.jpg

2. Aster Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't trust a betta with guppies and vice versa. Both have long flowing fins and it's potential for aggression. Also, bristlenose and neon tetras need cooler water than bettas.

The rasbora and kuhlis would prefer more of their kind as well.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would not keep bettas with other fish, if you want one just get a 5 or 10g for one by itself.

4. Betta.Gourami.Guppy Initiate Member

I got the Rasboras around five days ago and I started of with five unfortunately two of them suddenly died and I haven't had enough time to get more

5. Betta.Gourami.Guppy Initiate Member

But I didn't know much about the kuhli next time I go to my LFS I'll get some more Kuhlis, how many would you recommend for Rasboras and kuhlis?

6. parxs Member Member

I think it depends on the betta. Bettas can do fine with other fish, I had one with platies, endlers, cories, and tetras. He also lived with a dwarf gourami for a bit and they were perfectly fine-but there were surface plants too and both were peaceful fish. Bettas aren't stupid and they aren't blind, as long as you aren't dealing with some of the extremely showy AFG guppies and/or an extremely aggressive betta they should be ok. I don't know where the idea of all bettas being too aggressive and being horrible community fish came from because I have had multiple bettas in with other species and have never had an issue from the bettas side (don't keep them with nippy fish because their fins are irresistible.)
    I think you should be just fine, if you see him flaring a lot or chasing other fish-don't stress. I think that's where most people get the idea that they're aggressive but you have to remember that the fish you get have been in a little cup for most of their lives and have never seen another species of fish. They'll flare at snails a lot too just give them time to get used to it and watch them to make sure they aren't actually attacking another fish. Make sure to float it so it can get used to the fish first and have a backup tank just in case. IMO- bettas make great community fish and really just have a bad rep.

7. Betta.Gourami.Guppy Initiate Member

I did keep my previous Betta with Guppies though they didn't have long fins they actually have really small fins even the males, I also kept him in with my blue dwarf gourami. They were all fine and didn't attack each other and the betta eventually died in a seperate tank. The betta was very peaceful and didn't harm anyone, I couldn't afford to get a seperate tank unfortunately, If I could I probably would've kept him in a tank with some peaceful fish like neon tetras.
    I'm not trying to offend anyone this is just my own opinion.

8. Hill Dweller Member Member

You will find it depends a lot on the individual Betta and a bit on your choice of tank mates.

Some are too aggressive to share at all. Others are more peaceful.

I currently have a long finned half moon who is lazy and slow with the fins. He has been fine with ember tetras and clown killis. He was fine with cherry barbs too but they nipped his long fins.

I have a half moon plakat that is fairly calm, but much more energetic than the long fin. The cherry barbs hold their own with him, but they don't nip his fins as he is quicker. But he ate a couple of my killis, so that wasn't a good mix in that case.

So you really just need to think it through a bit and if you have more than one tank you have some wriggle room for mix and match :)

9. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Personally, I'd keep a betta by itself in a 5 gallon tank. Many here, though, have had success keeping bettas with other fish. As others have stated, it really does depend on the individual fish. My best advice is to have a backup plan (another tank) in case something goes wrong.
    Best of luck - hope it works for you if you decide to give it a shot!

10. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Tonight I am setting up my 10th tank. Sound like a lot? No...I just have 6 bettas who are butts and can't even be trusted with mystery snails. smh...never again.

11. JaneGael Member Member

I have one in a 13g with 5 neons and he ignores them completely. y 29g has a betta along with a school of glowlight tetras, a school of platies and one female swordtail who got mixed with the platies by accident. Both tanks also have mystery snails and amano shrimp without any problems. It seems like bettas are much less aggressive in larger tanks where they have plenty of space. Spirit was napping on the same bunch of Java fern as one of the platies the other day.

12. Hill Dweller Member Member

Yeah I had one attack mystery snails too! There are just some real jerk fish, right? But we love them anyway :)

13. Betta.Gourami.Guppy Initiate Member

I do have three tanks one is already occupied by a Betta so that is a real no, but I plan on keeping home in a large 140 litre and if that doesn't work I'll move him temporarily into my smaller 70 litres with swordtails, harlequin Rasboras and bristlenose catfish.

14. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I'll always have a couple of bettas, but 6 never again. (but those personalities...don't you wish you could have a tank of 10 to 15. In a perfect world.) lol

15. Hill Dweller Member Member

Millions of them all together like guppies is my utopia :)