Betta Tankmates

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Cycerath, Apr 19, 2017.

1. CycerathValued MemberMember

i got some down time while i treat my betta for ich. learned my lesson about quarantine tanks the hard way:(. i figured i'd use this time to plan out what i wanted to do.

size: 10 gallon
    heater: 100w
    filter: aquaclear20 (hob) and xy bio-sponge filter
    decor: heavily planted with both silk and plastic plants.

i was thinking shrimp, cory or snails, but i wasn't sure on a good amount to put in.
    perhaps: 4x pygmey cory
    or
    5x shrimp

would this type of cory be alright? are there better types of cory to keep in a 10 gallon?

are there certain type of shrimp to stay away from? and is there an ideal number to keep? (going to only buy 1 to start and test to make sure betta doesn't eat)

snails are kinda low on my list i've heard some can be a bane when reproducing. but i don't mind input here.

looking at aqadvisor it seems none of these should make a big impact on stocking level, with the highest being the cory.

perhaps other suggestions?

2. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Corys won't fit in a 10gal.

Inverts would be great though!

3. AradesValued MemberMember

You could do:

2 nerite snails
    10 ghost shrimp
    with your betta if you would like. Its too small for corys.

4. Summer22Valued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon with a Betta, Red Cherry Shrimp, and a mystery snail. Red Cherry shrimp are a dwarf shrimp and stay small but they are great for beginners as are ghost shrimp like arade s said.

A good starting number for red cherry shrimp would be 10. They really prefer real plants though... maybe someone else can add to this because I've never heard of shrimp with fake plants. They like the hiding places (especially baby shrimp or fry) and eat dead plant matter. RCS have a very low effect on total waste in tank so you can end up having a ton of them in end.

I'm a huge fan of Mystery snails because they don't rapidly reproduce by themselves. Plus they get pretty big for a snail, and look really cool.

As far as other possible suggestions, I'm afraid you have to stick with invertebrates with a Betta since they are a fighting fish and will attack anything else. Bettas just can't be housed with other fish but shrimp and yes even a mystery snail can be fascinating additions.

5. CycerathValued MemberMember

there are so many shrimp types out there: blue, red, yellow, green, albino, ghost. i was wondering about some of the non-usual ones. is something wrong with, for example, blue velvet shrimp?

6. Summer22Valued MemberMember

I'm a bit new to shrimp myself so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but red cherry shrimp fall under the broader more general name of Neocaridina Davidi. This name includes more color variety than just the red ones. If I understand correctly, all of these variations are of the easy keeping kind (from what I've read). So there are options for you if you like.
    Here's one link .... 

I do know for certain that one very hard type of shrimp to keep is the crystal red shrimp. Stay away from those. They are incredibly sensitive due to the complicated breeding and mixing of colors to get this variety.

7. CycerathValued MemberMember

i've seen some betta tanks with otocinclus catfish, are these an option?

8. AsterWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do it in a 10g, they are schooling fish and need 20g. Plus, keeping bettas with all fish in general is risky in smaller tanks, since they're territorial.

9. CycerathValued MemberMember

anyone have experience with african dwarf frogs and bettas?

edited: low chance i'll try this but more out of curiosity.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. AsterWell Known MemberMember

ADFs have poor eyesight and may mistake the betta's fins for food. They'd be best alone as well.

11. derpychickenNew MemberMember

I once as a beginner out of stupidity and curiosity and mixed a betta with 2 angelfish and believe it or not, it actually worked. (beginners luck) LOL:):p:D

12. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

The frog will starve.

13. lmau25Valued MemberMember

I would go with 1-2 mystery snails! I love the little guys, and your betta may eat the shrimp.

14. CycerathValued MemberMember

i was going to do shrimp as my first pick, but when i went to the lfs and saw the tank full of shrimp... my skin started to crawl like it does when i see spiders... so that was out of the question, lol. snails are my choice at the moment because i can get 4 and put one in with each of my bettas.

15. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Just wanted to throw this in, because I see some info that I don't agree with. Male bettas are not this solitary, aggressive fish that must be kept alone! They are very peaceful in a calm, planted community setting, especially with tetras/rasboras that like similar temperatures, corydoras, otocinclus, and I've had a few do well with platies. I wouldn't add any other fish to your tank, but I want people to change their minds about bettas :)

16. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

I've seen Bettas kill entire schools of fish, multiple times. I've also seen - multiple times - people on this very forum claiming they have a "peaceful" Betta, or they've "conditioned" their Betta to live with other fish, only to come back months later complaining about all their fish that mysteriously aren't the Betta being killed.

Just don't do it. It's not fair.

17. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

It all depends on the temperament of your Betta. Some do well in a community tank while others do well on their own. You should always make sure to have a back up tank just in case things dont go well. my Betta has done great with snails so far and I have been thinking of trying some shrimp now that my snail has died. I would try snails first and see how he reacts

18. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

That is an overgeneralization. The poster was looking at pygmy Corys, responsibly considering a tiny fish for a tiny tank. I've had colonies of pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus in 10s, for generations. I would not keep a regular sized Cory in there though. It looks clear the OP thought it through, and could have 4-5 pygmys in there. Personally, I would get rid of the Betta to do that. A 10 is a very small tank!
    Betta aggression? If you use a 5 gallon or less and add tankmates - of course the fish will kill in a thoughtless level of crowding. That's just common sense. My grandfather bred Bettas, and like most aquarists, I started with keeping them as soon as I could. Unlike most, I had the advantage of good advice.

In 5s, they were alone. In 10s, I avoided having them share the space. In 15s and up, they are excellent community fish that here have never killed a companion fish here, as long as it wasn't a poorly chosen species with the same habitat and territorial needs. If you put a dwarf gourami or a fancy tailed guppy in, it isn't the Betta's fault you didn't think it through.

My sample? I bred and raised Bettas, and kept them from 1967 to 2015 (when I decided the fashionable finnage had become too much). Let's say 100 males, with a lot living to well above 5 years, to round off. Not one killed tankmates, in intelligently chosen and set up tanks. Not one. If anything, they tended to come under attack for their tasty fins.

19. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Navigator, i see your points. Naturally, there is a degree of flexibility in all these issues - after all, we are dealing with live animals, and no two are alike. However, I'd like to make some quick rebuttals.

My good friend @Anders247 has kept Pygmys in a 10, and subsequently a much larger tank, seeing a large positive change in behavior throughout the group. I have also seen the various changes shown by smaller Corys when kept in smaller tanks during my time working at an LFS (an independent store, not a big box chain mind. Don't worry haha!). I don't agree that it's fair to keep them -long term- in anything less than a 20.

Regarding Bettas - I stand by my point that a fish that naturally desires to be alone, and displays that desire to occasionally fatal consequences, shouldn't be condoned to be kept with other fish. Like I always say, at the end of the day - it's not you that loses out, it's the fish. Be it the Betta or it's cohabitors.

20. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I don't think bettas really desire to be alone. Wheather it be a community tank or not. Bettas CRAVE interactions with their owners when kept alone (my experience). One of my old males, named Henry lived in a 20 long with some kind of tetras that I don't remember, and a group of platies. He was always with them, acted like them, stayed with them. NEVER showed violence. I swear he thought he was a platy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice