Betta Tankmates

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I have a fully cycled 10 gallon with 1 crown tail betta.

Was wondering what would be a good tankmate for him?

2. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Not many because of their temperament. Tropical fish with regular size fins may do well, but avoid tropical fish with larger fins like guppies or angelfish.

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Inverts are great! Snails are pretty guaranteed to be good and shrimp tend to do well unless your Betta is particularly cranky.

Not sure on fish but I've heard 6 or so Ember Tetra can work.

If you want a large partner for him, one Bamboo Shrimp could be interesting to watch. I wanted one for mine but went with a group of Amano shrimp instead.

4. Toxickissez20 Member Member

I have platys and amano shrimp with my Betta. They seem like a really good community. Everyone mingles peacefully. But since your tank is a 10 I would just stick with a couple shrimp. Amano shrimp are pretty beefy dudes.

5. cichlid1029 Initiate Member

A good mate would be tiger barbs 4-10 tigers will be oky...they can coexist theyll be good friends

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah the Amano are quick little buggers. And large compared to Betta. No threat of being eaten, only a threat of being killed by one of those murderous Betta. But even then I don't know if the Betta could catch them. Give them hiding places the Betta can't reach or heavily plant the tank and they'll be good. Although my Betta totally ignores them. Doesn't flare or anything. Sees em and looks at em for a moment and then moves along.

They can be elusive sometimes. Which can be good or bad. If you want something to watch easily all the time then they may not be the best (granted my tank is planted enough for them to just disappear if they want) but if you think it'd be fun searching for the little guys then thats good.

Do not try barbs, they are very nippy and are generally considered a No-No for bettas. I'm sure some people have them coexist but that could be a special coincidence, and larger tanks.

7. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I was thinking maybe some ghost shrimp, because i have never seen amano anywhere nearby

8. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I disagree with this. That is a recipe for disaster.

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Honestly, other than inverts, you don't have many options for tank mates in a 10 gal, there isn't enough room.

They are kinda like peacocks, they can't have any other flashy fish with them.

A 20 long would let you house a bottom dwelling species of fish.

Most betta are aggressive, some more than others. It's all up to what the betta tolerates and a back up tank is needed just incase things aren't working.

10. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Hi, my 10gallon has
    1- male half moon Betta
    2-mystery snails
    6-neon tetras
    5-10?- red cherry shrimp.
    However I am an experienced aquarist and careful water changes, cleaning, and feeding schedules are needed to keep your tank more than 80% stocked like this. Also you need a passive Betta which is most deffinitly not garanteed yours is.

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hi Pringlethesnail, just so you know, Bettas require warmer temperatures than neon tetras. Also neons are very active and would appreciate a bigger tank with more swimming space.

Other than that I agree with your assessment.

12. vinhvy5245 Initiate Member

If you plan on having fish with bettas, an awesome tip I've used is put the fish in before the betta. If the betta is already in the tank, take him/her out and put the new fish in and redecorate a little bit. The new fish will establish territory, and then add the betta. There is a better chance that the betta will leave the other fish alone.

13. Grimund Well Known Member Member

This may hold some merit, but the betta can easily attempt to reestablish territory or still not like any of the fish in there.

After reading up on betta, they normally have a 3ft x 3ft x 1ft area to themselves in the wild, and even if something passes into line of sight, there's just flaring. Since we don't offer them the same volume, it's far more territorial. They eat insects and food may not come their way in a while, so they defend the area to ensure a food supply.

It's an instinctual trait that holds true in the aquarium setting, just some Betta see different things as threats, mostly other fish that swim in the middle to upper tank region.

14. Toxickissez20 Member Member

If you go to like a Petco they will be labeled as Japanese algea eaters. That's what my 4 were labeled as. They are generally in the tanks with drift wood. :) And as for being good hiders mine seem to like being out, but I also am slowly workin towards a planted tank. Gotta budget to keep and plants are more expensive then the fish lol.

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

+1

16. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I was considering that too, now just a bunch of research to do on that too! Im sort of leaning toward maybe planting it first, then adding a few ghost shrimp

17. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

No! That isn't a good stock. Your tiger barbs will either kill or attack the beta and tiger barbs need to be in a bigger tank.

18. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

I don't mean to hijack your tread Suzan but i also have a question regarding this: And thought rather than start another thread for the same thing id ask here...
    I have a female Betta who is pretty placid, i was wondering how she would go in a tank with a male dwarf gourami? They are currently in their own tanks alone, so i thought maybe they could be tank mates?

19. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

How big is your tank? What's the temp? Betas require 80 in temp.

20. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I never had my female with a Gourami, bit i did have it with some skirt tetras, mollys, neon tetras. She did just fine with them