Betta tankmates - 10 Gal

1. kittykat0725 Member Member

Hi- I have had a betta for about 6 months now. About 2 weeks ago I upgraded his 2.5g tank to a 10g, I have two african dwarf frogs with him, but they always hide in logs so I can't ever see them. I would really like to get more things in that tank. Sure it is nice to see my betta swimming around but I would like to have other things that I can see. So what can I add? PS: I don't want snails, I want things interesting to see. (i have had two snails in the past)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Betta's are really solo tank fish, but hard to say! Different fish have different personalities. My old betta setup was stocked with 4x pygmy cories, a bristlenose pleco, and my male betta. I never had any problems but I always felt like it was a slaughter waiting to happen.

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

It is my opinion that if you want to do more with your betta tank, that you should focus on live plants and aquascaping. The betta will not appreciate what he considers invaders of his territory.

With that said. other than snails, shrimp are a potential tankmates, some bettas will attack and eat them, so try some cheap ghost shrimp before buying any more expensive ones.

If you are going to add anything else to the tank, it is best to remove the betta, rearrange the tank, put the shrimp or whatever in the tank, and then move the betta back in. This will make him less territorial.

Cories and bettas usually get along, but a 10 gallon is too small for regular sized cories. You can try one of the dwarf cory species, and they may be fine, but they are so small that if the betta gets a nasty streak they don't stand a chance.

There are no other living critters that I would recommend to be in a 10 gallon with your betta.

4. 19jimmy17 Member Member

I have a female betta in my 25 gallon hex tank with 5 serpae tetras, 3 black skirts tetras, 3 pacific blue eyes, 3 African dwarf frogs, small pleco, 2 hillstream loaches, and a baby pacific blue eye in a breading net.

I didn't plan on putting her there tell a lamp came crashing down on her 5 gallon tank, I basically just quickly threw her into the closest tank in a panic. She has been there for about a year and i haven't seen any problem of aggression. I have another tank for her that I never came around to setting up.

That being said females are less aggressive and don't have long fins like males to be nipped at by fish. I also agree with fried_bettas_ the betta should be the last fish introduced to the tank

FYI: ghost shrimp have been known for tearing the fins of slower moving fish because ghost shrimp are semi aggressive

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, female bettas are entirely different, I really have no problem with females in community tanks, except for the fact that perhaps 1 out of 10 are just as mean and aggressive as a male and cannot be kept in such a tank. So you have to watch them closely when first added and remove them at the first case of trouble. But even a female should not share a tank with other fish in a 10 gallon, it is just too small.

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is a major clue that you never see the frogs ;) You should consider putting them in their own tank, where they will feel more self-confident and hide less.

A whole other idea would be to put a tank of dither fish next to the Betta. That would give your Betta somebody to look at as they enjoy entertainment that is not in their territory. 14 Endler boys next door in 10 gallons would mental stimulation with minimal stress.

Okay, here you go: 3 tanks (innocent smile, whistling)

7. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

I use otos, and plecos, different shape, and no long fins, bettas tend to not attack it. I would move the frogs though

8. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Yeah I feel the same way. Ive heard stories of bettas eating out pleco eyes... and oto's are super sensitive to stress. Its a ticking time bomb since each betta is different. I'd keep the betta in the 2.5 gal and work with your new tank free of stress. I personally only buy peaceful fish.

9. kittykat0725 Member Member

Well I want to keep him in 10 gal because it is just easier to clean and he is way happier, so what if I used a tank divider and divided it in half? How do filters even work with tank dividers?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

10 gallon is 10 gallon. Filter works by "filtering" water. So water must pass through

11. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

If I wanted to set up a divided 10 gallon as inexpensively as possible. Assuming betta and ADFs. I would simply buy an air pump and two sponge filters, one for each side.

I use canister filters on my divided tanks, that can force water from one side to the other (unlike a HOB), but you are talking about a more expensive set-up. I do use enough sponge filters enough to buy them 8 at a time, lol, they go on all my spawning/fry tanks.

12. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Dont need 2 sponge as long as water flows across both side. 1 is enough.

13. FiscCyning Member Member

Having two sponges (one on either side of divider) provides filtration for both sides of the tank. I have tried with only one sponge filter and the other side grows stagnant very quickly. There is surprisingly little water movement through the divider unless, as Fried_Bettas mentioned, you use a filter with intake on one side and output on the other. The cheapest setup that actually cleans the tank would be to have two sponge filters.

14. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

It is dependant upon the size of holes in your divider. Large enough not letting fish through then it should be sufficient

"Size does matter"