Betta Tank

1. V

Vignesh Kumar New Member Member

Hello,
    I recently changed my betta from a 0.7 gallon tank to a 2.5 gallon tank. He has a water heater that keeps the water at 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I also have a couple golden pothos growing in the tank in a way that the roots are the only thing underwater as well as a moss ball, plastic aquarium decoration, and 4 pieces of small driftwood that I boiled for 2 days. this new setup gets a 25 percent water change every week and a 100% water change once every month. two questions I have are:
    1) Would I be able to add 1 or 2 amano or ghost shrimp to this setup to clean up after the betta and plant detritus?
    2) the water gets somewhat cloudy after 100percent water changes and I would like to know how to prevent that.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Yeah, you can add shrimp but your betta might eat them.

You shouldn’t be doing 100% water changes anyways. Do 50% or less, weekly.

3. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Don’t do 100 percent water changes, that water has bacteria the betta needs, some will say no to adding the shrimp I will say sure, if they are cherry shrimp

4. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

1 - 2 amano or ghost shrimp you could do, but you shouldn't have too much detris with only a betta. Remember his stomach is the same size as his eye. He literally needs 1 - 2 small pellets a day and that's it.

Also as AJE said don't do 100% water changes ever. That clouding is a bacterial bloom, meaning you're crashing and restarting your cycle.

5. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

100% water changes are not necessary, unless you have an extreme issue. I would stick with a 50% change weekly. You also don't want to remove all of your filter media and replace at the same time. The white cloudiness is likely a bacteria bloom from a disrupted nitrogen cycle.

As far as shrimp, I agree that you could do some cherries. It depends a lot on the individual betta whether they'll eat them or not. I have one that is perfectly happy to share his tank with small critters, and one that absolutely needs to stay by himself. I've had success with pairing my bettas with a snail, so there's always that option.

6. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

100% water changes are fine as long as you’re not washing out your filter media/sponge or anything else in tap water.

BUT in a single Betta tank you really don’t need to be doing 100% water changes, they’re not messy fish and unless you’re over feeding the water with 50-60% water changes every week should stay pretty good.

Add shrimp if you like, some Bettas eat them (like mine), others leave them alone, depends on the personality of your Betta.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Does this 2.5 gallon tank have a filter? If not large water changes would be required.

I see form your aquarium info that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle (<-- click words to be taken to article explaining it). The nitrogen cycle is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

After you read up on the nitrogen cycle, you will see that your betta tank does require a filter, since technically it is the filter that cycles, even though people commonly say you cycle a tank.

8. Lagertha

Wasn’t aware OP is uncycled or unfiltered. That changes a lot.

9. OP
    OP
    V

Vignesh Kumar New Member Member

@jdhef I do not have a filter but I plan on getting one since im a college student and don't want to spend too much time on cleaning and weekly water changes and thanks for your info on the nitrogen cycle. I plan on getting a Nerilte snail and an amano shrimp just as a backup cleanup crew.

-THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

10. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

trying to to repeat things but IMO shrimp and bettas work better in a 5gallon. Thanks for upgrading the fish tank!

11. imba

imba Valued Member Member

This +1
    I think a snail would be the better option for a tank mate in a 2.5g

But I think prioritizing a small filter would be much better before adding anymore lifestock.

12. Lagertha

You will need to be doing weekly water changes with a filter. A filter doesn’t mean you get to skip out on changing your water once a week or twice a week if you have a less than 2.5 gallon.

I suggest you leave of getting anything else to put in that tank until it’s filtered and cycled. Shrimp don’t add hardly anything to your bioload but they can be sensitive to water quality and if you’re uncycled then they may not last long.

Snails produce a lot of waste, keep that in mind.