Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by wibbylynn, Jun 21, 2018.

1. wibbylynn

wibbylynn Valued Member Member

Hi guys! I’m currently working on setting up my 50 gallon community tank and getting that all settled, but once that’s calmed down I want to do a betta tank.

I know I have a 5 gallon somewhere and I may also have a 10 gallon. I ordered the wrong sponge filter and it’s suitable for up to 78 gallons?! So I may have to get a smaller one unless this one would be okay in such a small tank? I have the heater and gravel already as well.

I’m also a noob at plants and have never had them but I really want this to be an easy planted tank. So I guess my question is, what are some easy plants a noobie could handle and what type of supplies do I need?

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I’d try to return the huge sponge filter. Bettas like low flow and I don’t think a five gallon tank could describe a 78 gallon flow as anything but utter turbulence. I’d get a sponge filter like this. If you don’t already have an airpump, you’ll need one to run the filter.
    As for plants. Marimo moss balls**, java fern*, anubias nana*, and java moss all look like great beginner plants
    *=plants I have kept for 5ish years alive
    ** these plants are amazing and grow like weeds!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

Thanks! I’ll probably just keep the filter since I’ll probably end up needing it for something eventually lol. But I’ll order a smaller one. I have a heater, I think it’s for 5-10 gallons but I’ll have to double check that. Is sand or gravel better for plants and Bettas?

4. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I’ve never tried plants in sand. However, for smaller plants, it’s probably better because thier roots don’t get crushed. I really don’t think bettas care about the substrate. My bettas are more concerned with making sure I give them enough food. They are little pigs sometimes...:)
    Edit: I’m deffinately a fish supply hoarder! My fish cabinate is always filled to the brim with quarantine tanks, tanks, filters, heaters, gravel, food and sooo much more. I think it happens to all fishkeepers. :)

5. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

Haha yeah I’m a recent beginner and I already have a ton. Thanks for your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice