Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Philippians 4:13, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13 Well Known Member Member

Hi all!
    I wanted to start a betta tank down the road and wondered what would be a good size tank. I only want one betta, and 3-5 other fish to go with it. Suggestions on tank size? Fish to go with the beta? How many other fish? I am new to keeping bettas, are there different kinds?
    Thanks!

2. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

We just got two Bettas. They're both in their own 10 gallon tanks.

3. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

There are different fin variations of Betta Splendens (most common) as well as wild types. Whether or not tank mates are even an option depends on the betta's personality. I would suggest no less than 20 gallons for a betta community though.

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

a single Betta can live happy in a 5g at the very minimum IMO. I wouldn't house bettas with any other fish but snails and or shrimps.

5. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

You would need a 10 or 15 gallon tank ideally. You will need an adjustable flow HOB filter (azoo mignon 60 filter is epic)

You could also use a sponge filter. I run both in my 5g with a Rose tail.

Good tankmates depend on color and cover. A school of Black Neons in a 15 would be cool. Would need at least 6-8. You could go with light substrate and go with ghost shrimp as well. I have had a ghost outlive 2 bettas. Never go barb. They nip. Or serpae....almost have to go translucent shrimp on light sub....or go with a school of black neons imo.

Most livebearers are too colorful.
    @phillipians 4:13

You will need a temp of around 78. In a larger tank there are cooler zones. I will find my fish hang in the areas with less heat. A bigger tank allows your fish area for comfort.

6. OP
    OP
    Philippians 4:13

I think I will go with a 15 gallons and get a betta; and some black tetras and some shrimp. Any suggestions on shrimp besides ghost shrimp?

7. tommywantfishy

Amano are good. Ghosts are epic bc they are soooooo cheap and can actually be really tough. They would slap my betta in the face with their antennae.

Could do Nerite Snails as well. Love em all!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  8. OP
    OP

How about both?

How many of each do you recommend?

Also, do you know how much bioload the shrimp and snails have?

9. tommywantfishy

1 Betta. Go in LAST
    7-9 Black Neon Tetras
    2 Nerite Snails
    6 Ghost Shrimp

You will need a planted aquarium in this setup. Or a lot of driftwood....watch your bettas fins if that is the case.

10. OP
    OP

So add tetras, snails, and shrimp before betta?

11. tommywantfishy

Absolutely. It will make him less territorial.

Shrimp have a very very low bioload.

Nerites have a more significant bioload. Biggest red flag....if one dies and you miss it....(Ammonia BOMB) so look out for em. Mine are old and happy. Great cleaners too.

12. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

If you're going to be keeping your Betta with other fish (especially small schooling fish), i'd suggest upping the tank size to at least 25-30 gallons. Doing that would afford you the space to ensure there is plenty of cover and space to get away.

If it were me, i'd get a 20 gallon and get a school of Corydoras instead.

13. tommywantfishy

78 is at the top of a cory's temp. range. 79 is max.

14. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Different cories need different temperatures. Peppered cories need water below 72f but bronze cories and albino cories are fine at 78-80f.

I would do a 20 gallon long with
    1 betta
    8 kuhli loaches or warm water cories
    6-8 amano shrimp
    2 rabbit snails
    1 nerite snail

No other mid dwelling fish with the betta

15. tommywantfishy

Is not the Albino Cory's top end temp 80? A bettas mid is 79. Between 78-80.

Albino corys have a temp range of 69-80. That is the top end. Am I wrong? Was on seriously fish. Might of misread.

I would also think cory cats popping the top would stress the Betta. They also require more oxygenation which means more water movement. Not a Betta's BFF

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

If the Betta chosen for this tank was to become stressed from Corydoras occasionally coming to the surface, he would likely become stressed from the constant presence of other mid-dwelling fish, making it a non-issue.

I agree that Kuhli Loaches would be a good option too.

17. tommywantfishy

Which is why I only recommended Black Neons. Do not nip, and are FAST...also, they are 2 inches long so they will not be finner food. Do not school very tightly. When a Cory pops the top it scares me sometimes. They are either lazy or crazy ime lol

Kuhlis need to be kept in schools of 5 or 6. Each one needs about 13 gallons. The math on that and might as well get angels and not a Betta.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice