Betta Tank

1. caiovp2 Initiate Member

Hello everyone,

So I have been building a 30 gal saltwater tank this last month. While going back and forth to the fish stores, I was introduced to the saddest thing ever. Almost all the stores have 20-30 bettas placed in containers that are only about 5 times their size. This made me kinda sad and I thought that maybe I could help one of these little guys. Now I am building a little home for him. People suggest a 5-10 gal. Since I can't have another big tank at home. I think my maximum size is 3 gal. I've seen people saying that the smaller the tank, more water changes have to been done and such things.

So this is my idea.. Make a 3 gal acrylic tank with a little water tap so the water changes will be easier. This way, every 2-3 days I can take out around 25-50% of the water and replace it very easily. I think it would be also good to try out putting some plants in the aquarium to help with the aquarium cycle. If someone can give me some help with the plant part I would really appreciate it too. That combined with a good filter should make a good home for him in my opinion.

Any good links for helping with plants and small aquariums would really help me too.

So, do you guys think this type of stocking for a betta would work? I've seen some forums and people get really ed about betta tanks. I just want to say that this is an idea I had to try and help one out. If I am wrong in doing so, please tell me...

Thank you.

2. Quibbles Member Member

Hey, some people kind of exaggerate with tank sizes, you should be fine with that plan. I once three bettas in a 1.5 gallon tank with dividers without a single water change or filter cleaning, for a couple years before I was knowledgeable and all three are fine now. I don't recommend anything smaller than what you have planned, but you should be fine with that.

3. caiovp2 Initiate Member

How often should I clean the substrate. I've been thinking about removing all of it for a clean every week or month. Is that enough?

About the plants, I saw some people saying that you should try to match the plant/fish ratio so you don't get algea growth. How can I know how much plant to put in? I'm thinking about low loghting plants at around 1W/gal.

Thanks for the reply

4. Quibbles Member Member

Well, plant wise, it doesn't matter. You could plant the whole tank heavily, or you could have a couple plants. The more plants, the more the fish benefits. You shouldn't get to much algae unless your tank is right by a window or severely lighted, but if you get two much algae, either clean it off the ____ or get a nerite snail. As for the substrate, it depends on how heavily you plant it. If you plant then you don't ever want to completely remove it, the roots of plants will not appreciate that.

5. caiovp2 Initiate Member

Got it! Thank you!

6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Imo 2.5g is the bare min tank size for a single Betta, although bigger is better.
    so your good going with a 3g, I would plant it as well, and add a couple of nerites, and maybe you could get away with some RCS too! it depends on the Betta's personality though.