Betta Tank

DrSahl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think he looks pretty nice!

I can't put anything wrong about your setup as far as what I have heard of it. He might need abit of time to feel secure in the tank ?

Once he is settled in I am sure he will show his personality and like Bornthiswaybettas said, he might just be a shy fish. my old betta was far from shy and was over active I think..

ps. don't put any mirrors near him or he will be agreesive and show how big he is.. ^^

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd give it some time, does he react to your being there?
Sometimes, I guess. When I had my hands in the tank putting on the prefilter and monkeying around with putting the additional media into the filter, he swam up to check things out.

Once he is settled in I am sure he will show his personality and like Bornthiswaybettas said, he might just be a shy fish.
That's what I'm hoping!

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, if he's showing no signs of illness I wouldn't worry too much. He does sound curious about you, maybe he just doesn't know what to do with all the space you've given him!

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, if he's showing no signs of illness I wouldn't worry too much. He does sound curious about you, maybe he just doesn't know what to do with all the space you've given him!
Going from a tiny cup to a tank can indeed be a very overwhelping process for Betta fish. If you think about it, once he was big enough to need separating from his siblings, hes basically been in a tiny container his entire life thus far. It would be like going from an empty room with white walls to the middle of an amazon jungle. total sensory overload. Provide him with some sort of hiding place and probably relax some, its important for them to have some sort of hide so they have a safe space.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought that, too, but he was actually in a roughly 2 gallon space, as were all the bettas at the store. Not huge, but certainly better than a death cup.

He sometimes hides behind a couple of the plants, or behind a large-ish rock that I have in there.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I figured out the problem with the betta. I'm pretty sure it's the water current. I have it stuffed with media and a prefilter on the intake tube to try to slow the flow, but I guess it's still too much. How do I know this? Well, I turned off the filter and sat in front of the tank to watch. Within 10 seconds, he started swimming about, all over the tank. I'm going to give it a little more time to make sure he just wasn't reacting to me sitting with my nose at the glass (slight exaggeration).

If it turns out that it's the filter flow, does anyone have any suggestions for a better filter? This one is a Top Fin 10. The depth (taking the sand into account) is about 8 inches.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I actually just now put one in. It's a Tetra Whisper 3i In Tank Filter. It's kind of a cross between a power filter and a sponge filter. It has a small media housing, but is operated by an air pump via air line tubing. I put a piece of the sponge and some of the crushed coral that I had in the original filter and put it in this one. I have a valve on the tubing so I'm able to better control the airflow that way. I already noticed an improvement in the betta.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bad choice, I just came from having that one and changed out for the one I linked. The flow of the Whisper 3i will stop flowing after like 2 weeks to just a drizzle. Return it! lol

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually just now put one in. It's a Tetra Whisper 3i In Tank Filter. It's kind of a cross between a power filter and a sponge filter. It has a small media housing, but is operated by an air pump via air line tubing. I put a piece of the sponge and some of the crushed coral that I had in the original filter and put it in this one. I have a valve on the tubing so I'm able to better control the airflow that way. I already noticed an improvement in the betta.
I use one of these in my 1.5g shrimp tank, I really like them for the fact of no moving parts, and the fact that the water flow isn't insanely strong, and also good O2 addition, as its kind of a filter and bubbler all in one.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My only concern is that it's rated for a 3g and the tank is a 5.5g. Hopefully the fact that it's just the betta will mitigate that issue?
Dom90 - Was it the air pump that petered out? I didn't even bother using the stock one that came with it. I already had my air pump and line with valve hooked to the this tank, so I just took off the air stone and hooked the filter's tube to the existing one. I imagine my air pump is better than the little one that came with it.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea that was probably the air pump that gave out. The tubing that came with is just real small. I also didnt like that it stuck almost halfway inside the tank of my 2.5 gallon. The new one I got is basically a HOB that only sticks in a little bit.

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There's been a HUGE improvement in the betta since I replaced the filter. He's been swimming around, front and center. Instead of skulking on the floor behind rocks or plants, he's been resting on plant leaves near the top. He swims out to the front of the tank every time I approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LOL there's nothing wrong with the 3i filter. It's great for small tanks

FYI, your handsome fella there is a Salamander halfmoon (salamander being the most common trade name for his coloring).

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FYI, your handsome fella there is a Salamander halfmoon (salamander being the most common trade name for his coloring).
So he's not a whiteseam super delta? I'm not an expert at all on tail types. That's just what he was labeled as at the store. But an LFS making a mistake is certainly not unheard of! I assumed the whiteseam part had to do with the white edging of his fins.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom