Betta Tank

Geoff

Well I didn't buy that $50 60 gallontank/stand combo from PetSmart, but I did buy a 5.5 gallon setup for a betta on my lunch break today. I hope I don't regret this!

Dom90

Impulse buys during lunch breaks are bad...

Anders247

Congrats on the new tank!

BornThisWayBettas

Is there even such a thing as regretting purchasing a tank for a betta?? Congrats on the new tank, and post pictures!

Geoff

Not so much regretting a betta tank, but regretting another tank, period. I don't do well with multiple tanks.

BornThisWayBettas

Too late, looks like you might've already caught MTS........

Geoff

I already had it once, so hopefully I've built up some immunity haha

BornThisWayBettas

Judging from your actions today, I don't think you can build up immunity to it. *Sobs dramatically* There was just, nothing that could be done for you, it was too late, the MTS was too strong!!!

Lol, on the other hand, congrats again!

BDpups

Geoff said:
Not so much regretting a betta tank, but regretting another tank, period. I don't do well with multiple tanks.
5 gallons are easy though. Even changing half the water every day is not as much work as a 55 if you ask me.

Geoff

Well here it is. My new 5.5-gallon betta tank...sans betta. It's a little cloudy but hopefully it will clear up soon. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

DrSahl

Looks great im0

Geoff

Thank you. Here's a long shot.

DrSahl

Geoff said:
Thank you. Here's a long shot.
Wow that looks pretty great I love the floor as well and the rest of the room (its a nice contrast) well done

JoyToTheFishes

You bought a new tank on your lunch, lucky!

Lol, my two cents

BornThisWayBettas

Wow, it looks awesome!!! Have you decided on what tail type of betta you want?

Bijou88

Looks great!

Geoff

My favorite LFS was having a special sale tonight from 9-12, just about everything 25-40% off. So I drove in (an hour one way) and got myself what they called a Whiteseam Super Delta. Not really sure what that means, but he's a good looking little dude. I also got a few more lambchop rasboras for my big tank and a nerite snail buddy for the betta.

DrSahl

Geoff said:
My favorite LFS was having a special sale tonight from 9-12, just about everything 25-40% off. So I drove in (an hour one way) and got myself what they called a Whiteseam Super Delta. Not really sure what that means, but he's a good looking little dude. I also got a few more lambchop rasboras for my big tank and a nerite snail buddy for the betta.
I look forward to see how that Betta looks, I've only had crowntails.

Geoff

Here he is. He was labeled a whiteseam super delta at the store. His fins look a little tattered though. I'm still trying to figure him out. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with him or with the tank setup. He usually sits at the bottom and doesn't do a lot of swimming around. He does go to the surface from time to time and he did eat when I fed him a couple flakes this afternoon. I thought maybe the filter current was too high for him. So I put on a prefilter and stuffed more media into the filter. That didn't seem to help much though. I also added an airstone. And the temp is around 80.

BornThisWayBettas

As long as his environment is fine then he might be kinda shy, imo. Both of mine "hated me" when I first got them home, one would flare at me (I think that was my fault though), and the other one (my current one) was very inactive and would hide away from me. The latter one is still fairly inactive, but he does come to see me now. I'd give it some time, does he react to your being there?

DrSahl

I think he looks pretty nice!

I can't put anything wrong about your setup as far as what I have heard of it. He might need abit of time to feel secure in the tank ?

Once he is settled in I am sure he will show his personality and like Bornthiswaybettas said, he might just be a shy fish. my old betta was far from shy and was over active I think..

ps. don't put any mirrors near him or he will be agreesive and show how big he is.. ^^

Geoff

BornThisWayBettas said:
I'd give it some time, does he react to your being there?
Sometimes, I guess. When I had my hands in the tank putting on the prefilter and monkeying around with putting the additional media into the filter, he swam up to check things out.

DrSahl said:
Once he is settled in I am sure he will show his personality and like Bornthiswaybettas said, he might just be a shy fish.
That's what I'm hoping!

BornThisWayBettas

Well, if he's showing no signs of illness I wouldn't worry too much. He does sound curious about you, maybe he just doesn't know what to do with all the space you've given him!

Bluestreakfl

BornThisWayBettas said:
Well, if he's showing no signs of illness I wouldn't worry too much. He does sound curious about you, maybe he just doesn't know what to do with all the space you've given him!
Going from a tiny cup to a tank can indeed be a very overwhelping process for Betta fish. If you think about it, once he was big enough to need separating from his siblings, hes basically been in a tiny container his entire life thus far. It would be like going from an empty room with white walls to the middle of an amazon jungle. total sensory overload. Provide him with some sort of hiding place and probably relax some, its important for them to have some sort of hide so they have a safe space.

Geoff

I thought that, too, but he was actually in a roughly 2 gallon space, as were all the bettas at the store. Not huge, but certainly better than a death cup.

He sometimes hides behind a couple of the plants, or behind a large-ish rock that I have in there.

Geoff

I think I figured out the problem with the betta. I'm pretty sure it's the water current. I have it stuffed with media and a prefilter on the intake tube to try to slow the flow, but I guess it's still too much. How do I know this? Well, I turned off the filter and sat in front of the tank to watch. Within 10 seconds, he started swimming about, all over the tank. I'm going to give it a little more time to make sure he just wasn't reacting to me sitting with my nose at the glass (slight exaggeration).

If it turns out that it's the filter flow, does anyone have any suggestions for a better filter? This one is a Top Fin 10. The depth (taking the sand into account) is about 8 inches.

Bluestreakfl

Geoff

I actually just now put one in. It's a Tetra Whisper 3I In Tank Filter. It's kind of a cross between a power filter and a sponge filter. It has a small media housing, but is operated by an air pump via air line tubing. I put a piece of the sponge and some of the crushed coral that I had in the original filter and put it in this one. I have a valve on the tubing so I'm able to better control the airflow that way. I already noticed an improvement in the betta.

Dom90

Bad choice, I just came from having that one and changed out for the one I linked. The flow of the Whisper 3I will stop flowing after like 2 weeks to just a drizzle. Return it! lol

Bluestreakfl

Geoff said:
I actually just now put one in. It's a Tetra Whisper 3I In Tank Filter. It's kind of a cross between a power filter and a sponge filter. It has a small media housing, but is operated by an air pump via air line tubing. I put a piece of the sponge and some of the crushed coral that I had in the original filter and put it in this one. I have a valve on the tubing so I'm able to better control the airflow that way. I already noticed an improvement in the betta.
I use one of these in my 1.5g shrimp tank, I really like them for the fact of no moving parts, and the fact that the water flow isn't insanely strong, and also good O2 addition, as its kind of a filter and bubbler all in one.

Geoff

My only concern is that it's rated for a 3 gallon and the tank is a 5.5g. Hopefully the fact that it's just the betta will mitigate that issue?
Dom90 - Was it the air pump that petered out? I didn't even bother using the stock one that came with it. I already had my air pump and line with valve hooked to the this tank, so I just took off the air stone and hooked the filter's tube to the existing one. I imagine my air pump is better than the little one that came with it.

Dom90

Yea that was probably the air pump that gave out. The tubing that came with is just real small. I also didnt like that it stuck almost halfway inside the tank of my 2.5 gallon. The new one I got is basically a HOB that only sticks in a little bit.

Geoff

There's been a HUGE improvement in the betta since I replaced the filter. He's been swimming around, front and center. Instead of skulking on the floor behind rocks or plants, he's been resting on plant leaves near the top. He swims out to the front of the tank every time I approach.

Dom90

Glad to hear about it!

Bluestreakfl

Nice to hear good news. Very handsome looking betta!

Geoff

Thanks guys

BornThisWayBettas

That's awesome!!! Very beautiful little guy, too!

LilChicken

He's quite beautimous!

junebug

LOL there's nothing wrong with the 3I filter. It's great for small tanks

FYI, your handsome fella there is a Salamander halfmoon (salamander being the most common trade name for his coloring).

Geoff

junebug said:
FYI, your handsome fella there is a Salamander halfmoon (salamander being the most common trade name for his coloring).
So he's not a whiteseam super delta? I'm not an expert at all on tail types. That's just what he was labeled as at the store. But an LFS making a mistake is certainly not unheard of! I assumed the whiteseam part had to do with the white edging of his fins.

Top Bottom