Betta Tank Temperature

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kathy88, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Kathy88

Kathy88New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    3D62DB16-8D80-4A29-8E30-E3119184DCB6.A290F0C7-AFF4-486D-A910-CFEEC036BC50. Hi everyone I live in Florida and I have an outside patio with screen all over allowing air flow however it does have an insulated roof but it does get quite warm. I have my turtles tank out there and they love it, so I decided to place all my Bettas outside in the patio on this nice setup I have a 10 gallon divided and a 5 gallon tank. The Betta don’t have a heater because the temp is warm and I don’t see a need for one. I am worried because the temp usually stays 82-86 and today it was a very hot day and the temp read 90 I immediately felt the water but it didn’t seem to be so tooo hot and I watched the fish and they seemed normal but now two of them are at the surface vertically not sure if they are resting or it’s the heat that affected them? What can I do ? And is it possible for them to tolerate that temp??

2. Carmen79

Carmen79New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm not sure they can tolerate it. I would do a partial water change, to lower the temperature

3. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
    That's a pretty high temp. I wouldn't recommend outside because how quickly the temps can swing in such a volume of water. A heater is a worthy investment. Betta temp should stay between 78-82

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I found those thermometers to be rather unreliable and not precise enough for me and bought a temp gun thing on Amazon for like $22. I use it for water changes (matching new water to tank water), checking tank temps, even checking the oven heat.
    I have a couple bettas at 84 degrees but I wouldn't keep them at anything higher for long just in case.

Become a Fishlore Member