Betta Tank Substrate

WrenFeenix

I used to have white sand in my betta tank, but after a bout with a severe protein film, it permanently stank, so I got rid of it.

The tank looks boring bare-bottom, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a pretty substrate. I’ve been looking at flat glass marbles, but they’re kind of too big. Regular marbles? Maybe white or glow in the dark! I have a glow light on the tank.
I think I saw glow in the dark gravel somewhere...

smee82

Id go with aquasoil and add plants.

andy305mia

Plants, Plants and more PLANTS. Especially in a small tank.

Bluejay010101

I have black gravel, use root tabs and liquid ferts for my tank. You don't want anything too big as it makes it difficult to gravel vac. I would stay away from brightly colored gravel.

Or you can even do soil and sand cap it.

Then add plants, bettas like a jungle in their tank.

BettaFishObsessed

Neutral colored gravel is always my go-to, although you could use aquasoil if you are gettung plants

WrenFeenix

Could I try gravel/marbles and small potted plants? I think that would look cute, since my tank doesn’t have a natural theme. It looks more like a jungle on Pandora.

What plants are root feeders?

julifhy

WrenFeenix said:
Could I try gravel/marbles and small potted plants? I think that would look cute, since my tank doesn’t have a natural theme. It looks more like a jungle on Pandora.

What plants are root feeders?
Do you have a pic of your current tank? It might be easier to recommend what substrates would look good with a picture :)

WrenFeenix

93B21D00-718D-4766-A4DE-515BCFEA49D2.png
My betta’s in the top left corner.:D
I have some glass marbles under the coffee cup to keep it from tipping over. Not a fan of them tho.

BettaFishObsessed

WrenFeenix said:
93B21D00-718D-4766-A4DE-515BCFEA49D2.png
My betta’s in the top left corner.:D
I have some glass marbles under the coffee cup to keep it from tipping over. Not a fan of them tho.
I would go with a very dark, not quite black but maybe dark gray, gravel. It would compliment your tank well and gravel is simple and easy to maintenance.

WrenFeenix

bettaandcorylover said:
This is my fav substrate (I love it!) and it is great for planted tanks even tho is does not have nutrients and here is a video that is really helpful ( I recommend you watch it) Don't worry the sand is pretty coarse the video like I said is really helpful.

Link for the sand:https://www.amazon.com/Imagitarium-...=imaginarium+black+sand&qid=1600925563&sr=8-1

Thanks, I had no idea what the Petco sand is like. I have Top Fin black sand in my goldfish tank and my betta tank had the white version. It seems to be a little bit more fine than the Petco sand.
I think what contributed to the smell was that I added way too much sand; 10 lbs of it to a 10 gal tank! I’ll only pick up 5 lbs this time, and add any extra to my goldfish tank.

Will putting plants in there help prevent algae growth? I have a light on my guppy tank, and I don’t like the pond-smell algae makes. :yuck:

BettasAreSuperior

WrenFeenix said:
Thanks, I had no idea what the Petco sand is like. I have Top Fin black sand in my goldfish tank and my betta tank had the white version. It seems to be a little bit more fine than the Petco sand.
I think what contributed to the smell was that I added way too much sand; 10 lbs of it to a 10 gal tank! I’ll only pick up 5 lbs this time, and add any extra to my goldfish tank.

Will putting plants in there help prevent algae growth? I have a light on my guppy tank, and I don’t like the pond-smell algae makes. :yuck:
At the beginning it will grow algae and you will use time doing water changes and scraping down you walls but once your ecosystem is established it won't grow as much algae because it will take in the nutrients algae needs. pro tip: I saw a video where one time a person planted a tank with live plants didn't do a water change for two weeks and guess what.... blackbeard algae...that thing is so hard to beat! Make sure to do water changes every week!! Also, don't use carbon as it will take out the necessary nutrients you plants needs and take out the fertilizers you use. But like I said at the beginning it will grow algae and you will use time doing water changes and scraping down you walls but once your ecosystem is established it won't grow as much algae because it will take in the nutrients algae needs. Pro tip: if you use marimo moss balls you won't grow any algae because the marimo moss ball is an algae ball that sucks in the nutrients algae needs. hope this helped. Also did you watch the video?

WrenFeenix

bettaandcorylover said:
At the beginning it will grow algae and you will use time doing water changes and scraping down you walls but once your ecosystem is established it won't grow as much algae because it will take in the nutrients algae needs. pro tip: I saw a video where one time a person planted a tank with live plants didn't do a water change for two weeks and guess what.... blackbeard algae...that thing is so hard to beat! Make sure to do water changes every week!! Also, don't use carbon as it will take out the necessary nutrients you plants needs and take out the fertilizers you use. But like I said at the beginning it will grow algae and you will use time doing water changes and scraping down you walls but once your ecosystem is established it won't grow as much algae because it will take in the nutrients algae needs. Pro tip: if you use marimo moss balls you won't grow any algae because the marimo moss ball is an algae ball that sucks in the nutrients algae needs. hope this helped. Also did you watch the video?
I watched the video. Idk why anyone would buy Florite Black if it doesn’t have any nutrients in it. Then it’s just really dirty, expensive sand.
I always wash my sand, because I am a clean freak and can’t stand dirty water.

BettasAreSuperior

WrenFeenix said:
I watched the video. Idk why anyone would buy Florite Black if it doesn’t have any nutrients in it. Then it’s just really dirty, expensive sand.
I always wash my sand, because I am a clean freak and can’t stand dirty water.
lol.....I know right! It makes a mess washing it and it doesn't have any nutrients.

Top Bottom