Betta Tank Starter Kits

RileyMocha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I plan on getting a betta fish, and am thinking about getting a tank between 2.5- 5 gallons. (Dorm rules won't let me go bigger). The only stores close to me are Petsmart, Petco, and Walmart who only sell entire kits in those sizes. I had originally wanted to pick out my own tank, filter, and heater individually, but it looks like I will have to go with one of their starter kits. I worry about the filter that comes with the tank being too strong for my betta.

Do any of you have starter kits for bettas that you love and highly recommend?

crashdiamond

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! Congrats on the decision to go with a betta tank, they’re super personable little dudes!

I would personally go bigger and better with a 5 gallon. Gives him a nice space to swim around in, and you’re not having to change the water every 2 days (exaggeration) with something as small as a 2.5 gallon tank. As someone with 4 separate betta tanks, I have two betta tanks that were kits and two that I picked the filter and such out on my own and they’re both doing wonderful!

Most Walmart kits (especially for the size of 5 gallon) are probably going to be Tetra brand or Aqua Culture. (I work in the pet department of a Walmart c: ) I personally prefer Tetra filters, one of my self-set tanks (versus a kit tank) uses a 5-10 gallon Tetra whisper filter and I’ve had no issues with it!

I believe Petsmart and petco have empty 5 gallon and 5.5 gallon tanks where you’d be able to set up your own as well, though!

Freebie tip: make sure that any decorations you get for him have big enough holes for him to swim into without scratching his tail. Look out for any sharp edges!

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a tetra 3 gallon cube (Walmart) at one point and that was a pretty decent tank. I found the filtration wasn’t to my liking, so cut a gap in the lid to fit a hob.

I’ve seen a lot of good things about the fluval spec V. It’s five gallons with a nicer light and a built in filter that is pretty good.

Had I not gotten a ten gallon, I probably would have gotten that or the six gallon edge.

I also recommend silk plants if you aren’t doing live. They are softer and easier on fins than plastic ones.

Last edited:

Bubbles_and_Fins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there! You can always get a kit and then make your own filter. All you need is an air pump (with its accessories that are about 50¢ at walmart each), the sponge that comes in the kit’s filter, gravel, poly-fil ($4 for a giant bag at walmart that will last you years), some sort of plastic tube (like part of those christmas candy canes that have m&ms in them), and a small jar. I can send a video how to make it if you’re interested.

I also agree on the 5 gallons. 2.5 gallons, although it is the minimum, is still simply just not enough IMO. You should try live plants, they’re cheap, eat bad things in the water, constantly grow so you’ll have an endless supply, and bettas love them.

Welcome to the betta hobby! It’s addicting!

Jacquilynn

Reaction score
I got the topfin 5.5 from petsmart and the filter is definitely too strong and it has a huge gap in the top so even using the hob filter I'm going to have to cover that gap.

Fluval is nice but as you're in college I'm guessing you'd rather save some money and this one is more expensive.

I'm planning on getting another 5 and I'm most likely going Walmart kit. You can go craigslist but almost none of them have lids but if you score a deal on the tank you have some more money to play with.

If you want to build your tank Petco or other local stores usually have but don't advertise they sell just tanks in 5 gallon, not all of them do so call ahead to see. That would run you about $15
Lids- The cheapest I've seen is the glass ones which are about another 12 with no light. If you want a lighted lid that is around 20+, You can also do a screen lid but those let out heat and evaporation more so than glass or plastic.
Filters- I'm going to be trying out some sponge filters which I ordered off amazon.

And this is just my personal complaint. I avoid Top Fin (petsmart) colored decor like the plague. I bought a bunch of decorations to fill several tanks and all but 1 ended up with bubbling paint which is bad so I would personally not suggest. Walmart Decor also doesn't have a good reputation for their tank decor.

DreaminginBlue

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you’re worried about strong flow from the filters included in kits, you can always buy a prefilter sponge to baffle the flow. With the sponge in place, it won’t output so strongly. Additionally, raising the water level in the tank will reduce the amount of current produced by the filter.

Mr. Kgnao

Valued Member
Reaction score
The last time I was in a Petco, I'm pretty sure I saw a basic 16 inch 5.5 gallon tank, which in my opinion would be the superior option as opposed to a kit.

Amynnas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got the 6.5 gallon for my betta fish and I didn't use the filter. I bought a sponge filter for berry my little guy and then bought a mini flat heater which keeps his tank right about 78 degrees. For the price the aqua 6.5 isn't a bad deal and with the heater and sponge filter it all came to only about 50 without decorations. My betta loves it and the sponge filter isn't too strong for them.

Wrenne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the top fin 5 gallon image ( I think) tank. My betta that has some back problems is in it. I like it. Flow is imo is the best I've had in a tank for a betta. Not that I have many tanks.

Amynnas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you want to go super cheap, there is always the plastic wrap option for a lid.
ohh i never thought of that, i'm using a wire mesh window cover for my 29 gallon now, wouldn't plastic wrap take away from the oxygen though?

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought the 5.5 gallon kit at PetSmart because it was on sale, and I ended up using nothing but the tank. I am really not a fan of topfin, so I got an eheim 50W heater, a Tetra pf10 filter (that I ended up just modifying), a finnex planted+ light (just because I am gonna have plants) and I ended up making my own glass lid. If you can, go more for a Tetra kit. And as said, bigger is definitely better and a Betta would much appreciate a 5. I'd say the most expensive thing other than the light was the heater. Filter was around 15 (can't really remember) and the glass for the lid was less than 10

RileyMocha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys for all the replies! I will be going into all three stores to scope out what they have. I’m hoping to find that they actually do sell just the tanks in store and they just don’t advertise it on their websites.

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If I could do my betta set up over I would've gotten just the 5 gal tank and bought sponge filter separate. Topfin HOB for the 5.5 starter kit is way too strong for a betta

you can modify it lots but I'm thinking of ditching it and just using a sponge filter in there

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom