Betta Tank Sponge And Hob Filter? 10 Gallon Tank

1. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i'm planning on getting a sponge filter (max 20g) for my 10g betta tank, which will house a single male betta (and maybe a few nerites and cherry shrimp in the future).

but i also have a leftover top fin silenstream power 10 hob filter from a 5.5g kit i bought (never had any problems with it despite all the negative reviews). should i put both of them on the tank for a single betta in a 10g, or just stick with the sponge filter? i know you can never have too much filtration, but i think bettas prefer low flow, and an added hob might be too much for him.

(i was also thinking about putting both of them on initially to hopefully maybe speed up the cycle, and then taking the hob off once the cycle is established or a week or so after the betta is introduced to the tank. thoughts? note: the hob has been sanitized and does not have any bb.)

thanks!

edit: i just realized that the sponge filter is kind of massive. they also have a small one that filters up to 10 gallon tanks.

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Trying to cycle a new tank is going to split the bacteria and their nutrients between 2 different filters which is not necessary unless you're going to continue with both filters permanently. A sponge filter is just fine by itself in a tank with 1 fish. A couple netrite snails and small shrimp won't add much to the bioload. Plus you won't have filter cartdridges to deal with.

3. OP
    OP
    midna

midna Well Known Member Member

okay, thank you! do you think i should go for the large sponge filter or the small one?

4. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You may as well go for the larger one. You air pump is going to determine the water flow and as long as there is enough flow through the sponge to keep oxygenated water available for the bacteria (and there will be) go for what has the greatest surface area for them grow. Once the sponge is cycled, your going to lose some of your bacteria when you clean the sponge. You clean it when you do one of your water changes by putting the sponge in the old tank water that you siphoned out of the tank and squishing it a few time. The siphoned water will then look really nasty from the dirt you sqiushed out of it, but you will have squished out some of your bacteria too. With the larger sponge, you will still have enough bacteria that your cycle won't get interrupted.