Betta tank size?

MisterBettaFishy

I was wondering what size tank I should get for a Betta. I have heard mixed opinions. Some people say that they will do fine in a bowl (Not getting a bowl), some people say 2.5 gallons is great, some say minimum 5, and others say they need at least 10. The betta I am thinking about getting has a very big tail, which I have heard that long tail bettas don’t swim around very much, and so I was wondering what size tank he would be happy in. Thank you in advance!
Also, which shape of tank is good? I’ve seen cube, round, hexagon tank shapes. What size would be best and also would the shape impact my future betta’s health?

Maryellen

Welcome to fishlore!
I think minimum 5gal, but like you said, there’s lots of different opinions. imo you can’t go wrong with a bigger tank. They’re also easier to keep stable.

Upvote 0

BettaBoi23

I have a 3.5g, but a 5g would be better. I'm upgrading soon.

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

I would not put my bettas in anything smaller than a 5 gallon.
However...I think that 3 gallons would be the absolute minimum I would do if I had no other choice.

As far as tank shape, longer is better than taller. My preference is rectangle, but a cube would be okay too.

Upvote 0

Passionfish

I was wondering what size tank I should get for a Betta. I have heard mixed opinions. Some people say that they will do fine in a bowl (Not getting a bowl), some people say 2.5 gallons is great, some say minimum 5, and others say they need at least 10. The betta I am thinking about getting has a very big tail, which I have heard that long tail bettas don’t swim around very much, and so I was wondering what size tank he would be happy in. Thank you in advance!
Also, which shape of tank is good? I’ve seen cube, round, hexagon tank shapes. What size would be best and also would the shape impact my future betta’s health?
I keep my halfmoon bettas in 10 gallons, and my plakats in 20 or 30 gallons, that's just my preference, you could get away with a 5 gallon, but it would be better for a 10 gallon.

Upvote 0

MisterBettaFishy

Ok, thanks everybody! There is a tank on sale at my PetSmart. 3.5 gallon kit that I was thinking about getting. I might reconsider and get the 5.5 gallon tank instead although it is more expensive. The only problem is it is tall and not wide. Any recommendations as far as what a good tank would be and where I could buy it?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

Walmart has this
Aqua Culture 5-Gallon Fish Tank LED Aquarium Starter Kit

It’s a decent little setup for a betta and it’s only $32

Upvote 0

betta06

5 gallons is best I am just upgrading all my bettas from 2.5 gallons to 5 gallons and up and the ones that have already moved love all the space and have built huge bubble nests

if you can go bigger even better though I have always wanted a single betta in a heavy planted 20 gallon

Upvote 0

MisterBettaFishy

Thanks! That aqua culture one might be what I end up going with. That 3.5 one from pet smart is a really good deal, but if a betta won’t be happy there then I will go with a five gallon. I will have to look into the aqua culture! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Salem
  • Question
Replies
Views
IDKwhattodo
Replies
Views