Betta tank size?

needabiggertank
After joining fish lore I am falling for bettas!!!! Surprised? Not me!! Its what fish do. But I want a nice size tank what's the biggest I can go while the betta stays happy?

RiffDawg15
I have a male betta in a 5 gallon and he is happy as ever. Always swims to the front when I'm around the tank.

I have heard that a 10 gallon is a perfect size for a betta. He will have plenty of room to swim and exercise, stretch his fins. The biggest I would go would probably be a 20 gallon. Anything else I think your just wasting money and tank space.

chickadee
My guys are in: 5 gallon quarantine tank (temporary); 9 gallon quarantine tank (temporary too probably); 3 - 12 gallon tanks; and soon the two who are in the quarantine tanks will probably share a 25 gallon tank (divided) although I may leave the little guy in his 9 gallon and give the 25 gallon to the one in the 5 gallon. I will say that I had bettas in 5 gallon tanks for a long time and they do so much better in the larger tanks that I would never go back but Dave and Stacy have their bettas in what I would consider the perfect betta tank ever made. It has the area of a 10 gallon which is what is needed but not the depth. So it is a 6.6 gallon bookcase tank and would be a perfect selection. It would need less for water changes and the bettas do not need the height but the width and length in a tank. This type of tank would be tailor made for them. They get them at Petco and they are not available in the Petco website. You have to get them at the store,

Here is that tank through a different vendor. It is a wonderful tank and I wish I had them all instead of what I have. I would use sponge filters in them instead of the other filter though I think unless the filter is very gentle.

Rose

needabiggertank
That is a nice tank I can see my self buying a betta a week or something. I want MTS

Lucy
HI needabiggertank,
My little girl is in a 5 gallon hex, she is happy enough, but I don't think it has enough length for a nice long swim. A 10 gallon is in her future.

Allie
5g is the smallest I'd put a Betta in. There are heaters and filter for that size of tank that seems to work best for them IMO and experience so far. Anything smaller and I have had too many health issues.

needabiggertank
I think I want a betta like in your avatar(Allie). What type is that?

Allie
I think I want a betta like in your avatar. What type is that?
He is just a veil tail Betta. Wine coloring with metallic turquoise. Got him at our lfs. ;D
He is the 3rd one in my signature pix.

needabiggertank
Bettas like to chill at the top of the tank?

luna
Wrong answer, Allie...you were supposed to say "stinker"!

Though, really, that describes ALL bettas! As does "piggie-fish"...

Allie
Bettas like to chill at the top of the tank?
They will chill where you are pretty much. If I am at the top of the tank they are there. If I sit on the floor they are down at the bottom. For the most part they seem to like the top.
I think it's b/c they don't want to miss out on what's going on around them. Nosy "stinkers".

needabiggertank
They seem to have personality like Saltwater fish. My fish even my Eel (when he was still with us) would greet me and follow me back and forth. They are so smart!!

chickadee
They never have learned that they are fish. They really believe they are humans that live in the water. Or like Michelle says "puppies in fish suits". They definitely do not bond with other fish but find it very easy to bond with us.

Rose

pamd
They seem to have personality like Saltwater fish. My fish even my Eel (when he was still with us) would greet me and follow me back and forth. They are so smart!!
I had a saltwater tank for five years, and only one fish had near the personality of my bettas (one male, Sparkles, RIP, and a female, Candi). He was a Niger triggerfish. If anything, the bettas have even more personality! Not more personality than some Saltwater fish are capable of, but more than the particular species I had.

Cap'n Nemo, the wonderful and beloved triggerfish, would follow me back and forth and accept food from my fingers, but I don't think he came to the front of the tank when called like CandI on the few occasions when she doesn't see me approach the tank. Bettas are also quite comical, doing their cute little "betta dance" up and down the front of the tank to beg for food, always exploring, sometimes leaping out of the water to bite fingers, etc. I think you're going to really love your betta-to-be!

chickadee
That is a nice tank I can see my self buying a betta a week or something. I want MTS

LOL Be careful what you ask for...MTS is easy to catch but oh so hard to cure. Soon you will be wondering where you will live and how to squeeze in another tank.

Rose
-

COBettaCouple
True.. it's near-impossible to pass up a good deal on a tank now, even with 8 sitting empty.. for now.

KonaBoy
Right now I have Poe in a 10 gallon with two Peppered Cory's, and he seems happy as ever

Brainlady

I just had to share that I now have Ebee, my little Betta fish in her new 10 gallon tank..... and what a difference!! Just to see her swimming around exploring her new digs is awesome!!! She has two little shrimp for friends (??) and some plants, but will get her more. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have Sponge Bob's house in there too.....It is really a pleasure to see her swimming around and it really strengthens my belief that Betta fish should have at least 5 gallons of water. I gave her a pea tonight and it was so funny watching her take it in her mouth, drop it, rush to the bottom to retrieve it!! I thought I would divide the 10 gallon and put another Betta fish in but I don't think so, I will just add more interesting places for her to explore.

RIP Beautiful Boy.

Stang Man
Try getting her a bigger tank and see how happy that would make her!!!!

Crazyboutfish
That's so cute. I'm glad she's doing well and I think she will apreaciate having the whole thing to herself

Danni
Nice! They look so small in them don't they- LOL! I think they really do appreciate it though when they get digs that nice.

lea
Congrats! Looking forward to pics!

Someone else did a true Spongebob tank - it looked awesome, so don't apologise, I think a BikinI Bottom would be a riot ;D

Brainlady
I am going to my LFS today, have to buy another heater for my 75 gallon.... used my emergency one last night as the heater went out! I am going to get some more plants for Ebee and continue to work on her tank, it is a lot of fun! I will post pictures when done. I think she ate her room-mates.... can't find the shrimp today.
75 Gal community
55 Gal community
10 Gal tank with pleco waiting for 55 to cycle!! (rescue)
10 Gal betta fish called Ebee

Pictures of Ebee's palace

This is a quick picture of Ebee's 10 gallon Betta paradise!!! I just added the little clay pot and found one of her shrimp neighbors.... thought she ate him!
Ebee comes to the side of the tank when I call her and will worm her way through the plants floating on the top!! She swims all over the tank and explores everything! I think she approves. I don't want to tell her yet, but I may divide the tank in half and add another little Betta female. Not sure yet, sort of enjoying seeing this little girl in a wonderful water world!

Attachments

• January2011 032.jpg
    January2011 032.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 144
lea
Lovely - I say get a nice leafy or black backdrop to make it all stand out and hide cables, and maybe a bit of javamoss for the terracotta pot or 'grass' underneath the shells?

Nicely done, lucky Ebee!

chloep123
Hiya, so I have a 5 gallon tank, is this big enough for a betta/siamese fighting fish (whatever you want to call them) and will he be okay living on his own?
betta betta 2

Diospectre
Hi!

Yes, don't forget to put some gravels and plants inside. Will be better if you also put a minI filter and aeration.

Cheers.

Peacefantasy
Yes 5 gallon is very much suitable.
Yes he should be alone in his tank (unless you wanted to do a snail)

Do lots of research before purchasing your betta, and make sure to read the Nitrogen Cycle (the words are a link!) And get a liquid test kit.
You need to cycle your tank first thing!

Maxine023
What would be the minimum tank size for a betta? I have a few tanks, big and small, and not sure which one to put my boy in...

One tank is quite small, around 30 cm wide... Is that too small? I'm not what to put in it

Aichmalotizo
Put shrimp in it Maxine. Shrimp can live in almost anything as long as the wq is good, they got some java Moss, and it isn't absurdly small

chloep123
HI everyone!
Don't worry, I have some gravel and a filter and will add a small heater and some other decor. What sort of aeration do I need though? I thought they just needed a bit of space at the top of the tank to allow air beneath the lid?

(And before you all fret, I do know the fishless cycle XD)

Peacefantasy
For a betta, 5 gallon minimum. And personally, I wouldnt put anything living in anything smaller. JMO

Bettas don't like a lot of movement in the water, so id be sure to have low current from the filter.
I'm sure you could do a small airstone, but nothing crazy in such a small tank.

When it comes to decor, make sure its nothing that will tear their delicate fins. You can test this by rubbing a pair of pantyhose across it. If its snags or picks, itll hurt the betta.
AlsI recommend doing live plants (if not live, silk) definitely not plastic though.

Diospectre
What would be the minimum tank size for a betta? I have a few tanks, big and small, and not sure which one to put my boy in...

One tank is quite small, around 30 cm wide... Is that too small? I'm not what to put in it

Aye.

3g may be suitable for a single Betta. But use 5 gallon for optimum.

HI everyone!
Don't worry, I have some gravel and a filter and will add a small heater and some other decor. What sort of aeration do I need though? I thought they just needed a bit of space at the top of the tank to allow air beneath the lid?

(And before you all fret, I do know the fishless cycle XD)

Aeration can be anything capable of circulating the water, such as waterfall or bubbles from the filter, or airstone (not too good for Bettas), or many others.

If your filter produces little bubbles, I don't think that you're gonna need another aeration system.

Check the temperature before using small heater, and keep it around 24 °C to 27 °C for optimum care.

Cheers.

Aquaphobia
Yes and yes! 5 gallons is great for a Betta. They aren't really social fish with their own kind and can be difficult to mix with other creatures, too. Shrimp or snails can work but it all depends on the Betta. You can't fit much else in a 5 anyway. I like Mystery and Nerite snails. Shrimp are cool too but are more likely to be eaten.

Tmosis
Anything that will break the surface tension of the water will help with oxygenation of the water. Bettas also have a labyrinth organ which helps them live in slightly less oxygenated water. Your filter should do enough of this on it's own. Marimo moss balls make a neat addition to any sized tank too!

chloep123
So, just to be awkward, I was thinking if I should just leave this tank as a hospital/quarantine tank and not have a betta? Will the quarantine tank be essential if I want a community tank (coming soon!) or can I have this betta?
x

Tmosis
Depending upon your community fish size and swim style a 5 might be ok, but if you add 2-3 fish at a time(most you should) I would go with at least a 10 gallon quarantine to keep the fish optimal pre transfer.

Diospectre
Hi!

I personally use big bowl-shaped aquarium for my quarantine tank so I can observe the quarantined fish easily because of its convex glass that enlarge my vision to the fish, like observing a tiny white-spot, fin growth progress from ripped off or torn, etc.

If you want a community tank, you may need a 10 G tank or larger, depending on how many fish you want to keep.

You have to get an aeration system if you plan to make it as a quarantine tank. Because Betta can survive with low-oxygen, meanwhile the other fishes can't.

Cheers.

chloep123
Just to clear up any confusion, do you think I should use a 5 gallon as a betta tank or a quarantine tank for a community of tropical freshwater live bearers (rasbora, guppy) Is a quarantine tank as essential as everyone seems to make out?

clk89
Well I personally think quarantine tanks are pretty important, as not to spread diseases in your community tank when first setting it up. Plus it is used when a fish needs to be taken out due to being sick, and needing medicine that may negatively affect the other fish, such as sensitive fry in your case.

5 gallons is fine for a single betta plus a couple snails and/or shrimp. I think 5 gallon as the minimum for a betta, some people think 2.5 gallons is the minimum. Sometimes it just depends on who you ask.

chloep123
Thanks, clk89 I'll probably go for a quarantine tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mandarabe
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
david1978