Betta Tank Recommendations Please :)

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am giving serious thought to replacing my bedside lamp with a tank for a betta (its the only space I can cram another tank into lol). Ideally would like 5gals + and something with lights good enough to grow low - intermediate level plants. In a perfect world it would also have a very quiet filter as it's going to be next to my head all night!

Any recommendations or suggestions very welcome

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The sky is the limit really, I'm happy to pay out for a decent tank. Preferably not thousands though lol!

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So your budget is how much dollar bills will reach the sky?
Thats alot. especially if you stacked the 100's.. :greedy:

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So your budget is how much dollar bills will reach the sky?
Thats alot. especially if you stacked the 100's.. :greedy:
No stacking of hundreds here, or even dollars - I'm in the UK! Lol. On a serious note though, as long as it doesn't make my eyes water I'd consider almost anything

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dimensions of your table?
Thats what depends.
And how sturdy the table is too. The tank itself may not necessarily weigh a ton, but a gallon of water weighs around 4kg, which adds up quickly!

Do you have any thoughts on a rimless cube tank versus a longer rectangular one?

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And how sturdy the table is too. The tank itself may not necessarily weigh a ton, but a gallon of water weighs around 4kg, which adds up quickly!

Do you have any thoughts on a rimless cube tank versus a longer rectangular one?
It's a fairly sturdy bit of furniture so I have no concerns about it being able to bear the weight. I quite like rimless tanks, shape (ie cube or rectangular) I'm not fussed about

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is that LxWxH? If it a average 10g would be a tight fit for it.
I would say you could go larger than 10g.

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have this one (the US version though) and it's pretty great! There's plenty light to grow plants and it really is like having a bedside lamp. The dimensions are 31 x 31 x 36cm so it should fit on your table.

I can post a pic of my tank tonight if you want, but here are some other pics that give a good idea what it looks like planted.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is that LxWxH? If it a average 10g would be a tight fit for it.
I would say you could go larger than 10g.
Yes, depth x width x height. I'm thinking I will probably go for a hm betta, and if I do I wouldn't want to cause issues with it being able to swim around freely/stressing it out by having too much space if that makes sense? If I can, I'd love to get a wild samaradgina guitar, they are stunning! And would probably appreciate a larger tank given their shorter fins.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have this one (the US version though) and it's pretty great! There's plenty light to grow plants and it really is like having a bedside lamp. The dimensions are 31 x 31 x 36cm so it should fit on your table.

I can post a pic of my tank tonight if you want, but here are some other pics that give a good idea what it looks like planted.
Thank you! Have you had any issues with lights being not up to the job? I'm wanting to avoid having to upgrade lights if possible, as it seems like every tank I end up buying I pull apart and spend a fortune on new lights lol!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lights can get expensive. Thankfully you only have to buy them once. Usually. And if over there is anything like here to get it at your lfs expect to pay twice what they are online. Personally i go to my local home improvement center and get fluorescent lights with daylight bulbs.

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you! Have you had any issues with lights being not up to the job? I'm wanting to avoid having to upgrade lights if possible, as it seems like every tank I end up buying I pull apart and spend a fortune on new lights lol!
No issues with the light. I have pennywort, cryptocoryne, a java fern, a flame sword, a few different anubias, and I've been working on growing a dwarf four leaf clover carpet. I've had the tank up for about three months now and everything is thriving now that they've settled in. The carpet is a bit slow spreading, but I think it's starting to catch on. The flame sword is even starting to redden in the center! I have a veiltail betta, two nerites, and at some point I'm going to add some shrimp and see how the betta does with them (fingers crossed they won't become a snack!).

I know what you mean for the light though. There's definitely something to be said for buying everything piecemeal and assembling it so it's exactly how you want!

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No issues with the light. I have pennywort, cryptocoryne, a java fern, a flame sword, a few different anubias, and I've been working on growing a dwarf four leaf clover carpet. I've had the tank up for about three months now and everything is thriving now that they've settled in. The carpet is a bit slow spreading, but I think it's starting to catch on. The flame sword is even starting to redden in the center! I have a veiltail betta, two nerites, and at some point I'm going to add some shrimp and see how the betta does with them (fingers crossed they won't become a snack!).

I know what you mean for the light though. There's definitely something to be said for buying everything piecemeal and assembling it so it's exactly how you want!
That's good to know, thank you! Would love to see it if you get time tonight haha yes exactly, I'm not in a rush at the moment so happy to take my time with this one. I figure when I spot a fish I want I can instant cycle using media from one of my other tanks and hit the ground running, I just need to decide on a tank I'm happy with first

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's good to know, thank you! Would love to see it if you get time tonight haha yes exactly, I'm not in a rush at the moment so happy to take my time with this one. I figure when I spot a fish I want I can instant cycle using media from one of my other tanks and hit the ground running, I just need to decide on a tank I'm happy with first
Having pre-cycled media is hugely helpful! I actually have shrimp that are supposed arriving today to put in a new shrimp-only tank, and their filter has been running on my 55 gallon tank for months now. I wasn't sure what I was going to use the filter for when I put it on there, only that I'd find a use for it.

I will take pics of my betta tank tonight for you.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Having pre-cycled media is hugely helpful! I actually have shrimp that are supposed arriving today to put in a new shrimp-only tank, and their filter has been running on my 55 gallon tank for months now. I wasn't sure what I was going to use the filter for when I put it on there, only that I'd find a use for it.

I will take pics of my betta tank tonight for you.
Haha I keep a spare filter in my main tank in case I need to set up a QT quickly. Or a new tank. The possibilities are endless

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom