Betta Tank Mates?

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well... I've decided just to go ahead and put my betta in my cycling 10 gallon and get some other fish. What fish will not be harmed by him, or shouldn't be?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bottom dwellers usually do well with Bettas but they really don't like anybody in their level of the tank which is top and mid-water.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cory cats & otos seem to be the most popular and compatible tank mates, along with mystery and apple snails.. as much as i'd love to put something else in. i knew the glass cats were a long shot at best, but i love those fish now that we saw some in denver so i had to make sure.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Remember to have a backup plan. Bettas vary in temperament from near psychotic with other fish to casual.

As for the types: bettas can get along with corydoras catfish and otos pretty well, and may get along with platys but no guarantee there. Bloodfin tetras also work. Snails and african dwarf frogs can also work. Ghost shrimp maybe though some bettas might try to eat them.

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Man.. I'm still stumped.. O-o

Shastam

Reaction score
My betta is pretty mellow when it comes to sharing his territory. He did really well with otto's and now he has a few cory cats in with him, and he's doing fine. I would say just introduce fish to him slowly to see how he does. If he gets too aggressive, then take out the other fish and move them to a different tank. Hope all goes well! I'm about to try adding a frog with mine to see how he does.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I now can add Dwarf Loaches and Yo-Yo Loaches to the list of fish that they will tolerate although I think it is because they are fascinated by them as they are like watching rubber balls constantly bouncing and move very fast. I do not think the betta could catch them if he wanted to, but they do not flare at them either.

Rose

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Would loaches be okay in a 5-gallon? And how many? I would really like Otos but no fish stores near me carry them.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
Would loaches be okay in a 5-gallon? And how many? I would really like Otos but no fish stores near me carry them.
I think loaches get too big for a 5 gallon.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No loaches in a 5 gallon. I thought you had a 10 gallon, sorry. Dwarf Loaches get to 2" which is a little bigger than Otos but need at least 4 to really get into the best activity. The Yo-Yo Loaches I got say that they get to 3" and I got 3 of them.

Rose

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well.... I had plans of getting some Cory Cats for my 10 gallon with betta and Wally World (Wal Mart) is my only LFS, and our wal mart is no longer carryin them anymore!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
captain_bilbo said:
Well.... I had plans of getting some Cory Cats for my 10 gallon with betta and Wally World (Wal Mart) is my only LFS, and our wal mart is no longer carryin them anymore!
That stinks.. maybe if they don't carry them again in the near future you can order some. Bettas can be quite happy without them so Bruce won't be in a real hurry. They enjoy having us to themselves.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's too bad that you can't get the cory cats that you wanted. As FLBettaCouple suggested, maybe you will be able to find them online. Good luck with your search.

CherryRose

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well... Sorry to contradict- everyone!...but:

My betta Phantom is a very healthy, happy fish, and he shares his territoy with 5 neons and some brightly coloured orange guppies!
He is quite laid back I must admitt- but when I got him, I put him straight in the community tank. He had no territory to lose- so I guess that's why he is so happy!

...hehehe... Sorry to confuse things...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom