Betta Tank Mates 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Karma23, Apr 2, 2010.

1. K

Karma23 New Member Member

Hey everybody I have been doing some research while my 10 gallon tank cycles. I have decided no matter what, I want a betta fish. I am gonna put some ghost shrimp in with it. I am aware that an over aggressive betta or hungry betta may eat him, I don't really mind that. I was thinking that I may add a bottom dwelling fish also in the tank. Has anybody had success with this or should I stick with the original plan of Ghost Shrimp and Betta? Thanks in advance.

2. c

claudicles Well Known Member Member

I was just about to start a thread about my delight mixing Bettas and Cories but here is a good place to put it. I have one Betta with three peppered cories and they seem to get on well. The cories are active and the Betta watches them and has the run of the tank otherwise. He is a show off. So I got two other Bettas with the plan of mixing them with other cories. Both of them have been pretty shy - much longer then people usually say for Bettas coming out of the fish shop cramped quarters. Yesterday I took the cories out of quaranteen and into the Betta tanks and the lot of them are out and active like I have never seen. Early days of course but so far it looks like it is going to work. I can rehouse the cories if problems develop. I should mention this is in three separate tanks before someone chimes in and tells me I shouldn't have a tank with three Bettas and a whole lot of cories in it :D

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Job well done Claudicles. I would just like to add, every betta is different not just color but also in personality. And not every betta will take to a tank mate. I too have had sucess with cory cats in my betta tanks. I have also had sucess with snails as well. But, one of my bettas will simply not be with any tank mate with out attacking them. Other bettas are different. Just have a back up plan if you do decide to get some tank mates for your bettas. Its always best to keep in mind the best intentions of your fin babys in mind. And I wish you luck.

4. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks for the quick replies guys glad you have some success stories with tank mates. I think I will go ahead with just ghost shrimp and betta and see how reacts to the shrimp, if all is good then I will look in to other fish. Thanks.

5. Furallicah

Oh yeah I forgot. My betta Plato had 5 ghost shrimp in his tank. Never did eat them. Lol so theres some sucess with the ghost shrimp XD

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think this is a really good way to start out, given that ghost shrimp are sold as feeders anyway most of the time. Then you can sort of gauge his reaction, if any, to other tank mates. My betta Cowboy (RIP) did not seem to mind ghost shrimp in his tank, and he completely ignored pygmy cories as well. However, I've also had bettas that did not even tolerate shrimp. If you choose to try and keep fish with your betta, I would strongly recommend having a backup plan, whether that be returning the fish or putting them into another tank. :)

7. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

I just got a snail for my one betta tank (Ryu) the other day... so far the reaction wasn't bad. He was interested and poked at it a bit, but so far the goldfish have done more damage to 'their' snail then the betta. They keep trying to eat any exposed parts. I might have to rescue that one and see if Windago would be a better roommate!

8. Furallicah

I have a funny story. My betta Plato who I mentioned above. He has a snail in his tank named Homer. When Homer is on his side on the side wall of the tank Plato will swim up and lay on Homer like a little platform...lol its so funny.

9. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Furallicah that is hysterical. I would love to see a picture of that lol.

10. Furallicah

I'll try to get one but Plato things the camara is out to get him and will get hateful with me when I try to take pictures....lol

11. ayelie

ayelie Well Known Member Member

I just saw a betta in a big tank, not sure what gall. with about 12 guppies and they were all getting along just fine. I was surprised.

12. Furallicah

Add this one!!!!.jpg

This isnt Plato laying on Homer, but you can see it in his eyes "Come on just stop sliming around so I can lay on you.....wait....bed come back!!!" Lol

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

14. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

I would be a bit leery of shrimp with bettas-I've heard tons of stories of the shrimp turning into dinner. But like someone said, it would be a good way to measure your bettas reaction to "friends" in his territory.

In my 10 gallon I have my betta with two ADFs (African Dwarf Frogs). At first I was a little concerned, he followed one around like a shark but it just seemed to be curiosity. The other frog had been hiding and when that one poked it's head out my betta seemed to go all "OMG WHAT IS THAT, WHAT IS THAT, I'M GOING TO EAT IT" but that was the only time and since then, they're all buddies. Only problem is my betta is a cow and steals the frog food-he's figured out the food is under the glass bowl and somehow squeezes in there sometimes..pig.

I considered cories as well. I've read it's good to get tankmates that spend more time on the bottom half of the tank because bettas mostly prefer the top. I might get some pygmies for this tank, but I haven't decided, I don't want to overstock.

15. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

my boy, freddie, thinks he's such a stud.....he also thinks he's a super model and comes to show off for the camera. sometimes he get's too excited and won't hold still! my other betta, finn, is pretty new, but he seems to like the camera also. :;jk we'd all love to see plato on his snail friend!

16. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking we should start some kind of sticky about betta tankmates ;) So many people ask questions! Not that any of us minds answering again, but it might make things easier.

There are two main things to consider when, well, considering getting your betta a "roomie". The first is that you do not want a species that will nip at the betta's fins. I lost my first two bettas to fin nipping-related shock. Tetras shouldn't be added, nor barbs, nor other bettas obviously.

The second thing to consider is that you don't want something the betta will kill. You sound like you've researched ghost shrimp, so I won't say much about those. Snails can work too, but again, it's possible the betta could hurt one.

Cories and otos are social fish and need their space. I wouldn't put a single cory in anything less than a 10 gallon, and since cories need friends, I'd say nothing below a 20 gallon would be ok for multiple cories. Cories are also very meek and can/will get bullied by some bettas. My female, Lily, has lived with a panda cory (don't follow my single cory example) all her life but still chases him occasionally.

My verdict? Go with the shrimp or snail. Remember though, your betta will bond with you and doesn't really -need- roomies to be happy :)

17. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks peoples, I have decided the Betta/
    Shrimp combo is enough :)

18. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Good luck!!

19. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

My blue boy is in a 6g with a couple of ghost shrimp, and yesterday I popped in a couple of yellow snails.

*SO far* things are going well.

20. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Not to be a downer on the ghost shrimp, but my betta got along well with a few ghost shrimp..... till he ate them. Lol. I do have him with 2 mollies and he seems to actually enjoy them. I don't think it can be said enough - every betta is a bit diff when it comes to tank mates. My, now a snack, ghost shrimp found out the hard way. Like I said though, my betta takes no issue with the mollies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice