betta tank mates

alicem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi betta lovers, I'd like to hear your thoughts...
I just won a betta at a fish club auction. He was one of 5 males and the last to be auctioned off.
Before the auction started I looked over the bags of fish and saw some bags of bettas.
A man asked which one I liked and we talked briefly. Apparently he was a club member and the betta breeder.

As luck would have it, I won the betta, and yes, I have named him: Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan is in my Q tank with some white cloud mountain minnows.
He doesn't seem to mind the WCMM too much, but they are designated for a different tank.

I picked up a 5 gallon tank because I have a little space to put it near my computer.
This way my betta and I can look at each other. ;D
It will be filtered, heated, planted with anubia (maybe others) and have gravel substrate.

I would really like to get some tank mates for him.
What I had in mind for low bio-load was 3 or 4 ember tetra (mature size is 3/4") and 1 or 2 Amano shrimp (for algae control).
I have some java moss I could put in for cover for the shrimp.

Does anyone have experience with bettas and Amano shrimp or cherry shrimp (or ghost shrimp for cleanup) together?
I've read both: tankmates are sometime possible and sometimes not...
Shrimp just seem like really neat little creatures and adding them would make an interesting micro tank.

Thanks for your time and consideration,
alicem

Tony G.

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello alicem

I would reccomend you keep him on his own, since they can really shine on their own. Shrimp can be eaten, just to let you know. As far as the tetras i dont know

I would love to see some hoto:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amano shrimp are too large to be outright eaten by a betta. However, I had one that picked at them until they all died. Most of the bettas I've kept have done just fine with peaceful schooling fish, but then again there are no sure bets. I'd say go for it- I'm assuming you have multiple tanks and would have a backup plan, should you notice any aggression.

Betta_dude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would wait a while and watch him first. Try to get an idea of hs personality. Is he an aggresive eater hat will eat anything that hits the water, or is he calm and laid back. Then decide if tank mates are a good idea. Also, a good tank mate for most fish are Trumpet snails.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats alicem! Just in case you may not have seen this, here is some information concerning betta's.
Best of luck and you know love pictures when you have the time and means.

Best of luck!
Ken

alicem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the replies.

Tony G, my photo taking is terrible (plus I don't have any Embers just yet)
but here's a shot of one by George Farmer on practicalfishkeeping.com:

Yes, harpua2002, I do have a couple of other tanks for a backup plan, thanks for the reminder.
From my reading, the risk seems to be highest for shrimp when they molt.
So from what you've told me, java moss might offer them the best protection.

Also, a good tank mate for most fish are Trumpet snails.
Thanks for that, Betta_dude. I considered a Nerite snail, but worried that snails might have to high of a bio-load. (?)

Is he an aggresive eater hat will eat anything that hits the water, or is he calm and laid back.
He definately notices when you walk into the room. He's a little bit picky when eating, but I've seen him to eat a flake or two.
So, I've been doing precautionary small water changes, pretty often, until I see what he likes.
Peas once a week will be an experiment I'll try soon.

Obi-Wan is fine in the Q tank, for now and I can observe him a little more with the white clouds, like Betta_dude advised.

I'm pretty sure I'll try this setup, but it may take a couple of weeks to put together.
The LFS is not exactly "local" (95 miles away) but they have assured me that they do get both Amano shrimp and Ember tetra in regularly.
Of course I'd call first.

Thanks for the info link, aquarist48. As always this site is jam-packed full of great reading!
I'll try and get some shots of Obi-Wan and his new digs when/if it comes "to fruition"
arty0049:
alicem

coffeebean

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettas can pick at shrimp and/or snails...or they wont. they are all so different. do you have betta pellets for him?

my betta gets along with shrimp, snails, otos, black rasborras, neon tetras and now guppies. he is sooooooo docile and laid back though. cant get him to flare at anything!

i agree with the poster that suggested watching and waiting before considering tank mates.

Mystic54

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a golden mystery snail in my 20 gallon community tank that kept getting picked on by my platies. So I tried him out with one of my female bettas and things are going good so far. I have 2 female bettas in a divided 5.5 tank and the one that gets along with the snail is pretty docile, but the other one would probably rip him to pieces, she's so aggressive she even flares at me! They all have their own personalities and preferences just like we do.

alicem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you have betta pellets for him?
Yes, I have 2 kinds: Aqua Culture, which he ate some of
and Aqueon, which I have not opened yet.
(I make it a habit to write the date on opened food and toss it after a month or two.)
I also gave him some blood worms and he has eaten them. (I know to be very careful about bloat.)

i agree with the poster that suggested watching and waiting before considering tank mates.
Ok, I can do that.

They all have their own personalities and preferences just like we do.
Isn't that the truth!
He swam after a white cloud a little bit, but didn't attack it.
Then white clouds swam under and around him. He looked at them as if to say "scram!", but didn't pursue them.
That's it (so far).

I'm anxious to get him moved here by my computer. I've read where they get bored...
He's in the back bedroom and it's a pain to go back there and visit him.
Even tho he has those other fish to keep him company, I want him here by me. :-\
It's funny how you can get so attached to these guys so quickly.
alicem

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im going to disagree with others ;D if you are going to attempt him with tankmates alice, I would do it when he comes out of qt....seeing how he is with other now, if you put him alone for any amount of time then try to add something, he will not be as tolerant...once they get use to being the only one in a tank, its much harder to add friends..do it all at once for your best bet good luck and hope to see pics of obi!

alicem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for your response, Shawnie!
I was thinking about setting up the 5G with plants, Ember tetra and Amano shrimp before hand.

Let it run a while (4 days to a week) before adding Obi-Wan.
Thinking, it'd give the tetra and shrimp a chance to settle in before adding him.

He'll be in the Q tank still sharing space with the white clouds during this time.

What-cha think?
alicem

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think that would be your best chance....just make sure hes in the qt tank with the minnows until you move him...giving him a chance to be alone, might make him want that permanently ...the shrimp might be a big chance as they are a natural food source for them but as others said, each betta is different good luck with the new man!

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Deb!

Congrats on your new boy I would love to see a pic of him.

For the most part I have had luck keeping my bettas with tank mates, but like the others said, always have a backup plan. I kept one of my bettas with white cloud minnows and they got along quite well. I also had success keeping a betta with cherry shrimp. He ate the babies, but left the adults alone. Ghost shrimp also worked well for me since they are a little bit larger. I have also had success keeping my boys with otos. I am not sure about the ember tetras, but as long as they are not nipping the betta's fins, they should be okay.

BTW, I agree with Shawnie. Don't let him live alone before introducing the new tank mates or he may find that he enjoys having his on space and doesn't want to share

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on your new betta! Looks like everyone has you covered from all angles so I'll patiently wait for pics ;D

alicem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have taken well over 100 picts and they are all really bad.
Of course, it doesn't help the glass is dirty. :whistling:

Here's one using a flash.
I don't like using the flash, I worry that it may be bad for fishie's eyes
(or does that only apply to human babies?).
665.jpg

His red undertones really show up without flash.
He kind of has red eyes and eyebrows... eyebrows?
664.jpg

This one is really bad, but does somewhat shows his finnage.
Is it good enough to tell what kind of betta fin Obi-Wan is? Looks "regular" to me.
668.jpg

alicem

HybridVigor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
pushing UltimateBettas.net website

Like a lot of others have said, it really it depends on Obi-Wan's personality. I had a betta live with two African dwarf frogs for two days without even looking at them, and on the third day I rushed to check (before brushing my teeth or putting on my glasses) and the ADF was stiff, belly up with multiple lacerations and very deep red/purple internal hemorrhaging. Kyros had some nice frog claw shaped tears in his fins from the epic battle.

And Kyros was the prescreened betta out of 5 possible guys. From putting the QT tank of ADF's next to each tank, I determined who would be immediately aggressive . . . Kyros was the only one who didn't flare and lunge. Go figure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom