Betta Tank Mates?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got a betta and he is in a 10-gallon tank nice and happy and I was wondering if I could get him a single tank mate maybe a cory or a pleco.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmm yeah a lot of people claim that the betta will eat them later on is there like a small fish I could put in

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, when choosing a betta tank mate they should have short fins, be relatively small and be assertive, so they can defend themselves from the betta but not attack it. You could try a shoal of neon tetras, they usually keep their distance from bettas and if your betta is mellow he shouldn't bug them.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I heard that having a school normally leads to them beating up the betta in some cases is this true? If so what fish do you reccomend

Ohhhh I have plenty of this in my other tank they are overpopulating it though

AndyVE

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, when choosing a betta tank mate they should have short fins, be relatively small and be assertive, so they can defend themselves from the betta but not attack it. You could try a shoal of neon tetras, they usually keep their distance from bettas and if your betta is mellow he shouldn't bug them.
I tried a Betta once in my 33g together with 20 cardinal tetra. Went fine for a couple of weeks...
After that almost all my cardinal died within a week (missing body pieces so not due to illness).
Never saw my Betta being aggressive to them...but am sure it was him.
Corries do not attack tetra.

But had another smaller tank ready as a backup plan so...

Hard to find companion for them and never without a risk.

Would suggest something small and agile so it is harder to catch.

But as mentioned before...not without a risk...
It never hassled the Corries though.
So maybe some dwarf Corries?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is a panda a dwarf? Sorry, I don't know much about cories and plecos and stuff because I mainly do small communities, cichlids, and goldfish. What would I need to feed the cory and would it clean my tank as well because I can always use a janitor in my tank haha?

aBettaNamedRoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wanted to stock my tank with fish too. A similar situation; my betta was in a ten gallon. I ended up playing it safe and went with a mystery snail and an African Dwarf Frog. I thought they would be less interesting to watch than a shoal of fish, but the tank's diversity of species gives it a special charm. I've never had a problem with anything involving aggression or overstocking, so, depending on the personality of your fish, I would recommend some smaller tank mates. Just a suggestion.

I would definitely consider the African Dwarf Frogs. They're pretty awesome, and fully aquatic. Because they like to hide, your betta probably won't even notice.

aBettaNamedRoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. They also may eat sinking fish pellets.
You can often find them at your LFS or LPS,but if not, you could probably buy them from online fish stocking sites. I bought mine at Petco for a little over $3.00.

Dinoter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I usually add 1 or 2 cories to the tank, I've yet to see a problem with only a couple and I've done this setup at least 4-5 times. Dwarf frogs are great tankmates because they also breathe air, eat pretty much everything, and don't bother the betta or vice versa. I also currently have a 3 gallon setup with 3 ghost shrimp, at first the betta nipped them, but now he leaves them alone. They are a nice algae cleanup crew too

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I usually add 1 or 2 cories to the tank, I've yet to see a problem with only a couple and I've done this setup at least 4-5 times. Dwarf frogs are great tankmates because they also breathe air, eat pretty much everything, and don't bother the betta or vice versa. I also currently have a 3 gallon setup with 3 ghost shrimp, at first the betta nipped them, but now he leaves them alone. They are a nice algae cleanup crew too

What kind of cories do you recommend and what do you feed them

It's so hard to decide whether I should get a cory or a frog

Does the frog jump because otherwise I don't think I can get it because the lid no longer fits on my tank and I don't really like it. My betta doesn't seem to want to jump, but I watch it anyways.

Dinoter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've used albino, peppered, and false sterbai cories. I feed them flakes and sinking pellets, but they eat pretty much everything.

It's so hard to decide whether I should get a cory or a frog

Does the frog jump because otherwise I don't think I can get it because the lid no longer fits on my tank and I don't really like it. My betta doesn't seem to want to jump, but I watch it anyways.
Nah, they just sit on the bottom most of the time, except to breathe or find food

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really, cool. Do I need to get an air pump for the cory and I just want to get one not a school is that an option because I don't want to over stock the 10 gallon

Dinoter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you going to have a filter in the tank? because there's no need for an air pump if there is. I usually get 2 cories and have had no problems. I would recommend 2 because they like to be together. Also, you would not be overstocking the tank at all, you could even get 2 cories and a frog. Two or three fish aren't going to make much of a bioload

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a filter but I made sure that it doesn't hit the water so hard like my other filters because it's for my betta would that still work?
What cory would you recommend for my 10 gallon betta tank and what are their requirements? Hope I'm not asking for too much.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to burst your cory bubble... but corys need to be in a group of 6+. If you are looking for suitable tankmates for your betta, I'd stick with shrimp or snails. A 10 gallon is too small for him to be with other fish, in my opinion.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope I don’t get any hate for this but I had some feeder fish that I was going to feed to my crabs but couldn’t do it, so I put them in with my betta for a bi, they are rosy red minnows, and they didn’t have any issues at all. All my betta does is lounge around in my plants.

But I am thinking it depends on the fish personally. I’ve had some live in community tanks and others that just couldn’t be kept with others!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive kept bettas for 30 years. They are like people: Some bettas will get along with any fish including other bettas, some will try to kill everything else and need to be kept alone.

Currently, I have 4 different community tanks that have bettas in them:

1st is a 20 long guppy biotope. Sand and gravel bottom, leaf litter & sticks. A few larger rocks on one end. We have the HOB on the end of the tank where the rocks are running over them like a waterfall. Besides the various guppies in the tank, there are 3-lined & peppered corys and a clown pleco. The betta bothers nobody.

2nd is a 20 tall. Its a randomly planted tank with driftwood in it. It has green and black neons, 6 emerald corys and a clown pleco. Betta bothers nobody.

3rd is a 40 gallon Amazon biotope. Its a sand bottom with a large sword on one side, driftwood on the other side. Leaf litter bottom, dwarf water lettuce and a water hyacinth on top. We have 2 clown plecos, 8 corys, 2 German Blue Rams, 10ish black neons, 6 serpae tetras and 5 silver hatchetfish. The betta gets competative with the serpaes at feeding time but nothing serious.

4th tank is my sons bedroom 10 gallon. He keeps a few random fish in it that he likes. I think he has a couple guppies, a few danios and a few corys in it along with the betta. Sometimes when Im putting him to bed I catch the betta chasing the guppies, but their fins are never nipped so I dont worry about it. Its not an ideal setup, but he likes it and has had it running for a couple years. Its heavily planted so I think that makes up for the small size and lack of big schools.

Ive had bettas in community tanks with cichlids, various tetras, goldfish, mollies, guppies, barbs, silver dollars, young oscars, etc. Again, some fish need to be isolated, some will be fine with other fish. You wont know until you put them in there, so you must watch them carefully and have a backup plan in case you need to take them out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom