Should my female Betta have a tank mate

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

abby:)

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon planted Betta tank. I love my fish and want to be the star of the tank but i'm considering tank mates. She is really friendly but it still makes me very nervous. I don't want to hurt anything or be at all stressed. I'm not sure if I should put anything else in there but if I do I want it to be smaller than her. Any opinions and ideas are appreciated, thanks

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only options would be shrimp and snails depending on her temperament.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
There are lots of threads on this already but whatever,
Shrimp can work,snails and maybe guppys
The colorful, flowing fins on Guppies tend to leave them prone to nipping.

VenomousTiger

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello. You could do shrimp or snails. Not much else in a 10 gallon. It really depends on the fish. My male betta swims away whenever he sees his reflection. I have shrimp and snails. I could put guppies in with him if I really put a lot of care and distractions in with him. My other betta had guppy tank mates and once I came home and the guppys fin was bitten. Yikes. Don't wanna make that mistake again.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
I was thinking female guppys
They still have fairly colorful fins generally. Females would also be likely to overpopulate the tank if they were in a tank with males before purchase.

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 10 is too small for any fish tank mates, but shrimp or snails would be great. I would do with shrimp because the single snail I have has caused nothing but terror for my tank. He’s eaten almost all of my plants and literally poops 24/7.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BReefer97 said:
A 10 is too small for any fish tank mates, but shrimp or snails would be great. I would do with shrimp because the single snail I have has caused nothing but terror for my tank. He’s eaten almost all of my plants and literally poops 24/7.
some snails do work but yes Fish wouldnt work in a 10gallon

pitbull2299

Reaction score
abby said:
I have a 10 gallon planted Betta tank. I love my fish and want to be the star of the tank but i'm considering tank mates. She is really friendly but it still makes me very nervous. I don't want to hurt anything or be at all stressed. I'm not sure if I should put anything else in there but if I do I want it to be smaller than her. Any opinions and ideas are appreciated, thanks
I would be wary adding anything to the tank. Bettas, even the females, are best kept alone.
If you want more fish, maybe try housing your betta in a smaller 5-gallon and using the larger tank for a community? Just a thought!

OP
A

Reaction score
BReefer97 said:
Thanks I was looking and I kept seeing to get a school of tetras but that didn't seem right to me.

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CanadianFishFan said:
some snails do work but yes Fish wouldnt work in a 10gallon
I would recommend against a mystery snail hahah mine is the worst thing ever and if I had something to do with him, I would definitely get rid of him. He ate $40 worth of plants in 3 days tops.

OP
A

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards shrimp but i'm nervous about her attacking them. She doesn't seem to be aggressive but she's always been alone.

-Sofia-

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
abby said:
I'm leaning towards shrimp but i'm nervous about her attacking them. She doesn't seem to be aggressive but she's always been alone.
Like CanadianFishFan said if there are enough plants and hiding plants it will most likely work!

OP
A

Reaction score
I can't get a picture to upload but there is 4 pretty big plants and a couple anemone things.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would get amano shrimp or ghost shrimp. Buy the biggest ones in the tank as a betta could easily attack and kill a smaller one.

If you want amanos, I recommend starting with the ghost shrimp to see if the betta will eat it as a 10 cent feeder shrimp isn't as expensive as a $3 amano shrimp.

If you don't want amanos, just buy the largest ghost shrimp.

In a 10 gallon tank, I would do 3-5 ghost shrimp.

Also, nerites are awesome. Horned nerites grow smaller and the scale will look better with a smaller nerite species IMO.

New Threads