Betta tank mates...?????

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been researching about different types of fish that would suit a betta. I came up with this website, thanks to a previous post:

However, I still can't help but ask:

Does a coral blue dwarf Gourami go well with the siamese fighting fish?
Would it be too bright?

REPLY ASAP, I fell in love with one at the aquarium!!!!!!! <>< <>< ><> ><> <>< <>< ><>

Kristyn

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
As far as I know gouramis are one of the worst tankmates for bettas. They are anabantids (sp?) just like bettas. I dont know if it being a dwarf makes any difference but I guess wait til someone else says something. I guess my answer would be no though. Sorry :-\.

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay...
I'm not one to argue anyway, if it'll put my fish in dangerl, I wont do it! Thanx!
;D
Kristyn

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas are members of the Gourami family and the wisdom of the books says that they should not be mixed. They are both just too territorial for the other one and the aggression that they may not show the other fish they would definitely show to each other. It would be like putting two Bettas in the same tank.

Rose

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I understand...
I was just looking on a website, that said it was true, but, I guess we can't trust all fish websites!
Thankyou, but, I am still thinking, what about glass catfish (ghost catfish)? Would they be good, if I got 3 or 4?

And, there is also the platy?

Or Swordtail?

And then the zebra Danio, and Neon, and Cardinal tetras. I'm going to find out about Ottos too. By the way, chickadee, I'm probably going to get some snails, they'd be good in my tank!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Glass Cats are kind of fragile for a Betta tank and unless the tank is going to be a big one, they need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and take up a lot of tank room. You would need a 10 gallon at least for just 3 Glass Cats and 1 Betta. Then you would need to supply a lot of hiding places and places that the Betta couldn't get into so they could get away from him when they have had enough. (there is going to be chasing!)

The Snails and Otos that I have are getting along with my babies just fine but we did have a "breaking in" period and I did think every day that someone would lose their life. (usually an Oto) But it ended up being just curiosity and no blood was shed. Platies and Swordtails I cannot comment on except to say that the Platy does look a LOT like a female Betta and may be attacked due to this resemblance. the swordtail has the long fin and it may be tempting to nip.

The most important thing to remember when considering the tankmates for a Betta is: He does not really believe that anyone has the right to share his water! He has been alone for so long that He thinks that is what life is supposed to be like. If you decide to put other fish in with him, then be prepared to be so patient with him. They truly are so mistreated when it comes to being able to adapt their environments to other fish.

Rose

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think something important to do in general if you want to try certain fish out together with a betta is to always have a backup tank. A tank that you can put the other fish, or the betta, in if it is obviously not working. Thats probably the best way to go about it even if you really think that something is going to be compatible with a betta... cuz of course we all know, it depends on the betta.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
ebbandflow is right, a back up tank is the best way to trial the fish. Because like he said, bettas are all very different, ive had some that cant be kept with anything and others that got along with guppies, platys, mollies, angels and even a female all in one tank, some are more placid than others!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think that Glass Cats actually prefer shoals of six or more and are extremely timid and need really good water quality...not the type of fish I would recommend for a small tank with a Betta. Sorry. :-\
There seem to be mixed opinions on livebearers with Bettas. Some people have kept short-finned ones (Mollies or Platys, just not the hi-fin varieties) with Bettas just fine. I'm not sure what I think about it. I would not put a Swordtail with a Betta due to their long swords.
Zebra Danios are supposed to be compatible with Bettas but they need a big tank and even then are so active they would probably disturb the Betta. I would not recommend them.
Neon Tetras are too nippy. Cardinals may work as long as the tank is at least a 20 gallon long.
With Otos just make sure your nitrates stay nice and low or you could end up with finrot like I did--they are pretty sensitive fish.
As for the snails, just don't trust Bettas with tiny ones or they may become lunch.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that what I've consistently seen is that oto and cory catfish are the best fish to keep with bettas. Maybe though get another small tank and try that one?

I'm setting up a 5 g tank as backup just in case and I'm going to try out either corys or otos with Rusty soon. I recently did a gravel vacuuming and replanting so I wanted to wait till that was settled. Rusty is still freaked out by that as well; I actually scooped him out of the tank because the hose was terrifying him.

Rose is so right: Bettas are kind of mistreated until someone kind takes them home. The problem is that it is cheap and easy to keep them in little cups, buckets and other jail cells.

May I encourage you in something? We tend to think "tropical fish...need LOTS" but a betta in a way just needs a small number of peaceful friendly companions who will be good natured about his chasing and startling behavior at first. If that. A betta on his own will require care but be a rewarding companion and show personality startling in a fish. Maybe you shouldn't worry so much about tankmates? A couple of bottom dwellers and a snail might be perfect.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with poe completely. They have not been raised to believe that other fish have the "right to be in here with me" so it does almost stress them to have another fish in there. It may be almost kinder just to give the Betta a really nice big home to be able to play in and a Snail to clean the tank or a couple of Otocinclus catfish or if your tank is big enough some Cories. Other fish are too risky I am afraid.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How does that work?...Goldfish are coldwater fish, and the others listed are tropicals. Is the tank heated or unheated?
Also, you know how big Goldfish and Plecos get, right? You will need to get a much bigger tank eventually. The 15 gallon is overstocked counting the fish's adult sizes.
What kind of catfish is in there (the other one, not the plecos)? (just curious...aren't catfish awesome? ;D)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In the first place, while I am glad that your fish are getting along goldfish and tropical fish do not belong in the same tank. Nextly, if the tank is cool enough for the golfish then it is too cold for a Betta. You are just playing with fire where Ich and some of the other cool water diseases come into play. (fin rot for one) There are fish who seem to have a more hearty immune system where such things are concerned. The betta with all those lovely fins isn't one of them.

Welcome to fishlore.com I am truly not criticizing you, but trying to explain that there is a problem here waiting to happen. Bettas require a steady temperature of between 78 - 80 degrees (80 is best) and if this is not maintained they do have health problems over it.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom