Betta Tank Mates

1. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

Hello everyone! I've had a betta for 8 months now. He is super calm and was perfect friends with the rasboras and amano shrimp in his old 10 gallon tank. I recently moved him into another 10 gallon that has plenty of live plants and hiding spots. I want to try to add some fish friends to his tank:;group I don't want to go with rasboras, shrimp, or african dwarf frogs as I have had those in the past and would love to try something new. I know 10 gallons isn't a huge space so I need lots of help deciding and I would appreciate some help from people with more experience :;th I've attached a picture of the tank to give you guys an idea of the setup
    bettatank.JPG

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I prefer to keep Bettas alone, but I found this thread that may be of interest to you. I am just presenting the information to you. You decide. http://homeaquaria.com/5-best-betta-tank-mates/

3. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

Thank you! This is really interesting. I've considered white clouds before but ember tetras are new to me. Do you have any experience with either of those fish? This is quite a tough choice.

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

No, and most people on this forum will advise against tankmates for Bettas. I have read success stories with Rasboras, but it is hit or miss with the pygmies.

5. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

I think that the white clouds would be a bad idea. They really are not temp. compatible with the betta. I know the website suggests "meeting in the middle" so to speak and keeping your tank at 75 degrees, but I personally think 75 is too low for a betta. One time my bettas tank got to 75 (heater problems) and he was very inactive at this temp.

6. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

This is definitely tough for me. I hate the emptiness of the tank right now :/ but you're definitely right about the temperature causing potential problems. I have had great success with this betta in a community tank with rasboras in the past so I was hoping I'd have some other tankmate options. I might give the ember tetras a try in a couple months once the plants in the tank grow a bit more.

7. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Really I wouldn't recommend any tankmates but shrimp and nerite snails in a ten gallon. A twenty gallon or bigger, heavily planted, tank is more successful for betta community. Gives betta room to have it's own territory.

8. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

+1 on the planted tank. I usually put Cabomba in my tanks...Bettas love it! The perch in that stuff and oversee their domain kinda like a cat. :;banaman