Betta tank mates

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by fishfry70, Jul 19, 2015.

1. fishfry70

fishfry70 Valued Member Member

My betta is all alone in his 20 gallon and it seems so empty. I have tried Ghost shrimp but he kills them. what are some potential tank mates I could add? I was thinking about snails as I don't see how he could bother them.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Snails might work, but I'd be careful with them, especially since he's already killed the ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp are kind of like the "testers", if he doesn't bother them then he might not bother anyone at all, imo. Here's a thread of all the pros and cons of betta tankmates: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/197046-betta-tankmates.html Kind of a long thread lol! But I'm a full supporter of it. :)

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Personally, I Wouldn't add any fish with the betta. Now before all the debate and arguments come about keeping Bettas with other fish, some have succeeded and some haven't. It's best to keep the Betta by its self. He may look lonely in that really big tank just for him, but in reality he is the happiest. All that big space for him:). You can add some snails or shrimp, but be aware that the betta might eat some shrimp because it has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What I would do is relegate the betta to a 5 gallon tank and get some other fish in that 20. A 20 gallon is just too big for one 2-3" fish...

5. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

In a 20 gallon, I would be comfortable adding a small school of cories. Of course you would have to watch for any serious aggression, but bettas rarely are aggressive toward cories. Other option would be a bristlenose pleco. I wouldn't recommend anything else though.

6. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

Did the shrimp have plenty of hiding spots? I have Red Cherry Shrimp in one of my betta tanks along with a nice big patch of Java moss and some driftwood which provides plenty of nooks and crannies for the shrimp to hide in. My betta tries to catch the shrimp but 90% of the time they get away. That said all betta are different though, maybe yours is just an effective hunter :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. AquaticBrandon

Yeah it depends on the Betta, I used to have 2 Bettas a crowntail female and a halfmoon male. The female hated everybody. She is the one that ate a few ghost shrimp in a heavily planted tank. My halfmoon betta was in a 20 gallon tank with a lot of cherry shrimp. He never bothered any of them. To the OP, if you do decide to add any shrimp just keep an eye out.

8. OP
    OP
    fishfry70

fishfry70 Valued Member Member

Thanks for the advice everybody.

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

No problem!

10. AquaticBrandon

Welcome :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice