Betta Tank Mates-Are These Ones Okay?

1. BettaChuck Member Member

I am upgrading to a bigger tank and I would like these fish with my male Betta:
    -Platy(3 of them, 1 male 2 females,each a different colour-probably red,orange and yellow)
    -Neon Tetras(school of 6)
    -Panda Cory(group of 4)
    Would any of these fish bother my Betta? I heard Platy and Panda Cory are peaceful fish and neons shouldn't pick at him as long as they are in an apropriate size school(min 5 I heard). Is it true? Would my Betta pick on them?
    Also, this is a stocking question but I'll ask it here(hopefully it's okay): AqAdvisor.com said that all these fish would be okay in a 12 gallon long tank-I entered dimensions of a tank I am considering purchasing.I find it kind of hard to believe.It says the tank is 99% stocked? Would these fish really be fine in a 12.5 gal?

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Platies have a high bioload. In fact, all livebearers do.

I am not a fan of bettas with tank mates. Every single betta I have tried in a community tank, even with non-aggressive tankmates, has died a premature death due to stress. Heck, I've had two bettas that were in a tank with minor tankmates (cories) jump out of the tank completely!

3. tpasser2 Member Member

I would say if you did any type of fish with the betta, do a peaceful, slow moving type of schooling fish. Any fish that are too fast may stress it.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do the Platies. And the Neons are hit and miss. They send out a "prey vibe" which may lead to the betta attacking them. Corries are fine, but you may want to look into other mid level swimmers. What about Endlers?

5. BettaChuck Member Member

Aren't endlers colourful fish(even more than neons)? Also, I thought they are really small and the Betta could eat them

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

They aren't as colorful as Platies, and they are the same size as Neon Tetras ;)

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I tried putting a betta in a 12 gallon tank with 5 cories. At first all seemed fine, but after a couple of weeks I noticed all my cories were missing their tails. So I had to move the cories to another tank.

8. BettaChuck Member Member

What if I try it for a while and if I see things are going downhill I move the Betta in his own 5 gal tank? Also, despite what AqAdvisor says, is the tank overstocked or is it okay?

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

With the corries *and* the platies, yes, the tank is over stocked.

10. BettaChuck Member Member

Okay then, no cories , one less neon and an Apple Snail instead? It would look like this:
    1 Male Betta
    3 Platies
    5 Neon Tetras
    1 Apple Snail
    Is this okay?

11. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Dont do the platies as reccomended above they can be bully's and screw up the water quality for the betta.

12. BettaChuck Member Member

Okay, how many Endlers can I have instead of those 3 Platies?

13. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Maybe 4,Thats a total guess and also you have to learn the personality of your betta to be housed with any other fish at all

14. BettaChuck Member Member

How can I tell if my Betta is aggressive before I put him in with other fish?

15. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Sometimes you cant. I had though my betta was really calm and laid back and was really surprised when he bit the tails off all of my cories.

16. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Whether or not a male betta does well in a community tank depends entirely on the personality of the male betta. You always have to have a good back up plan in case it doesn't work well.

Aqadvisor is not a very accurate site, in my opinion. I don't rely on it, nor do I suggest others use it.

17. BettaChuck Member Member

Lol yeah, I kind of realized aqAdvisor is not such a reliable site. I do have a strong back-up plan, if Chuck doesn't do well in the community tank, he will go in his own tank. If he only has a problem with a certain species I will simply return the fish or move them into a different tank.Does anyone have any experience in keeping Bettas with Chilli Rasboras?

18. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Again, even if someone else says that yes, they had no issues with chili's with their betta, it doesn't mean that you'll have the same experience. As long as you pick a species with no flowing finnage and that's slow moving, that's your best chance at success. Personally, I just don't believe in putting bettas in community tanks. I think we're taking them from their normal solitary preference and forcing them to live with another species.

19. BettaChuck Member Member

Okay, now I am seriously considering keeping Chuck alone in one tank and making a separate community tank.

20. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that's your best bet. I wouldn't want to risk any of my fish to even try it and see what happened. Also, you don't just have to worry about the betta being aggressive, but also with other fish being aggressive to the betta. My crowntail's tail is still growing back because I had a pictus catfish (before I knew they required schools, of course) who kept his tail nicely trimmed.

As an aside, I have a snail with my betta and he hasn't bothered him one bit.