Betta tank mates 5 gal.

fish47

Reaction score
right now I have my betta alone in a 5 gallon tank, could I add anything other than a snail?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly not really. Betta seem to need more personal space.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah I agree above. 5gal is too small to add another fish with a Betta, but a snail or 2 would be fine !

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
fish47 said:
thank you! would nerites be best?
or could I add cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp?
Personally I wouldn't. I added cherries to a 5 gallon betta tank and my betta ate everything. It depends a lot on your bettas temperament. But a lot of the time if they can fit in the bettas mouth it's an expensive snack.

OP
fish47

fish47

Reaction score
I thought that ghost shrimp would get big enough. I also thought that shrimp would be fine because I have a dragon scales Betta who’s eyesight isn’t the best because his scales have grown partly over his eyes so the shrimp could get away

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
fish47 said:
I thought that ghost shrimp would get big enough. I also thought that shrimp would be fine because I have a dragon scales Betta who’s eyesight isn’t the best because his scales have grown partly over his eyes so the shrimp could get away
Ghost shrimp are fairly small. Smaller than your average cherry I believe. As I said before it does depend on the betta. If he's mostly blind you might be okay. If you want to give it a trial run pick up ghost shrimp since they're super cheap. If they stay alive and your betta isn't picking them off then you can get more or try cherries. Also since the betta was in there first he may be more aggressive towards newcomers since he'll be even more territorial.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ghost shrimp are cheap so its not an expensive try even if they get eaten. Nerite snails are usually best since they are like tanks and have no antenna.

New Threads