Betta Tank mate?? Question

1. Fishnugget43 Member Member

I was wondering if there is anything that could get along with a betta fish in a 5g tank, I was thinking like a snail maybe? or some shrimp? But any advice for any kind of tank mate would be awsome :;hug2

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It depends on the Betta. One of my females immediately attacked my snail. Needless to say, I didn't chance shrimp with her.
    Other members have kept both with their bettas with no problems.
    It's possible the shrimp will be a snack.

3. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

i've had the same situation with my bettas, some are completely fine with tankmates and couldn't care less about the shrimp or snails i've had with them, others are hunters and will go right for them. usually pet stores will give you pond snails for free if you want to try them out, and ghost shrimp you can usually get six for a dollar at some places so it's worth a shot :)

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

my sister keeps some shrimp with hers. they last for about 1 month.

5. platyfish Member Member

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't recommend it, especially in a 5g. It's not big enough for more than one fish.
    Over crowding could lead to aggression. Especially with a betta.

7. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

It all depends, my female betta was good with all other fish, even guppies, but she peck on my male sunburst platy. One day I turned on my tank light and he had a big chunck of his tail missing and so did 2 guppies. I put her in a breeder net to prevent her from doing and further harm then when I came back from school she was swimming in the big tank. She had jumped out. I decided to leave her in the main tank and just keep a close eye on her. All went well until I turned on the light and she got a little beat up. I found out what was happening: she would swim up to my kribs and flare up the dart in at them. Then they would peck her and she would go swimming right back to the top and hide in the hornwort. After seeing what had happened to her I put her in a breeder net and put a cover over it too. It all depends on your betta, Like my sisters male, he will not tolerate any other fish and I'm always feeding him fry. Well one day I put in a fry that was a bit larger and he never ate it. Now it is growing up with him and he doesn't care about it. During feeding time I will drop in some food and they both swim up and grab some and don't even pay attention to each other.

8. mefishyguy Member Member

I agree with everyone here, 1 platy or a shrimp would be great :D

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

;) Not everyone.

10. Fishnugget43 Member Member

Haha, Thanks for all the tips, I think I'll try snails or shrimp. but any other suggestions are great. haha I just feel like it'd get lonely even though i know he wont cuz they are loners....

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

;) Yep, that's you thinking he'll be lonely. He'll be fine. All he'll need is attention from his human.

12. platyfish Member Member

My bad, I thought it said 15g !!

13. Elodea Well Known Member Member

If you have some plant cover you could add some shrimp, gives them a place to hide. Maybe the betta won't notice them.

14. R0B Member Member

Hello everyone, im new to having a fish tank but i have a Male Betta, 2 red eye tetras and 2 Black Mollies and the betta doesn't even pay attention to them. I have my tank planted and with a couple of places to hide.

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;dk In your other thread you said the tetras are nipping the betta.
    It's not only the bettas possible aggression we need to be concerned with, it's agression towards the betta from the other tank mates.

16. mefishyguy Member Member

I would Get a Snail as its less likely to get eaten.