Betta Tank Light

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Makennaroni+Cheese, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Makennaroni+Cheese

Makennaroni+CheeseNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    4 years
    When I first got my betta (Niagara) I had her in a small tank that I originally had one of my goldfish in about 4 years ago, then after I got my first paycheck I swung by Petsmart and nabbed a 10g and the basic necessities for the tank. Over the last month or so I've added more and more things to the tank and I think I'm finally happy with it, but I've been tossing back and forth getting a light. My tank isn't too close to the window, but my room is generally light in the day and dark at night so my betta is getting a day/night cycle, but I think that a light would look nice regardless, especially now that it's mostly cloudy and dreary here in PA. I was testing out how a light would look (I brought up a white picture on my laptop and set it carefully on the lid of my tank, trashy but I think it worked) and I noticed right away that Niagara looked incredibly washed out in comparison to how she looks in the room's natural light. In normal light her head is black, body navy blue, fins pink-to-blue but almost looked sickly in the direct light. Is this normal? If so, is there a particular light that prevents this from happening or should I just forgo the light altogether? The first 2 pics are of my betta in the room's light (This one is so blurry I'm sorry- she wouldn't stay still) and with direct light while the last four are the tank's evolution. If you notice any stress stripes in the pics its because I took most of these directly after water changes/decoration additions.

Attached Files:

2. Bubbles_and_Fins

Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    Your girlie is a cutie! Bettas do change colors under light because of how the light reflects off of the scales. With an actual light (not a computer screen lol), she shouldn't look too washed out. In fact, it should enhance her colors and make them more vibrant. Are you planning on having live plants in the tank eventually, or keeping the fake ones?

3. OP
    OP
    Makennaroni+Cheese

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'd love to have live plants eventually! I'm content at the current moment with the synthetic ones (I made sure that they were soft so they wouldn't rip up her fins) but I'm super stoked to get real plants in there at some point. I'm just a bit outside of my comfort zone with having a betta (I only had goldfish before I got Niagara) so I figured that once I get a bit more comfortable with her I'd take the next step by getting live plants.

4. Bubbles_and_Fins

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well yay! I must say, live plants aren’t that bad. That is, if you get the low maintenance kind. All i have to do for mine are root tabs every 3-4 months and i use the LED light that came in the tank kit with a little sunshine since it’s close to my window. I’d love to help you with live plants once you get to that point! Oh, and bettas are pretty low maintenance, too. And they have tons of personality ;) . What’s your price range for the light?

5. OP
    OP
    Makennaroni+Cheese

Ratings:
    +14
    Experience:
    4 years
    Not sure, $30 ish? I have the Top Fin hinged lid right now and I like the look of that more than a really big hood. Do you have any recommendations?

6. Bubbles_and_Fins

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    Take a peek around on amazon, there’s tons of them in that price range. However a few people have problems with them breaking or something since $30 isn’t exactly the best quality on the spectrum. I’ve heard a lot of good things about beamswork LED lights, and there’s some for both plants and regular lighting. IMO you should go ahead and get the one that has different colored lights that will support plant life, that way you won’t have to get it later (why buy two when you could have one, ya know what i mean?) It’s $29.95, I’m getting that one for christmas (fingers crossed. Although since it’s christmas, i should probably invest in a more expensive one, but this one seems to do the job for everyone in the reviews.). Is the top fin hinged lid made of glass/acrylic? If not then you can find some stick-on LEDs but i dont know much about those.

7. josie townsend

josie townsendNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    3 years
    I use a Deckey LED light for my 5.5 Gal that I ordered from amazon. some of the colors are a bit odd but overall I like the light.

Become a Fishlore Member