Betta tank HELP for large Halfmoon King

Heiress

As as a lot of you know I'm a new half Moon mom. He's pretty good size and initially my thought was to put him in a 5 gallon tank. But we were told not to do that by Petco. We were actually told that he would struggle and possibly pass away that it wasn't healthy and they didn't do well in larger tanks.

My Hope was to build a tank with real plant life and maybe even a realistic floor and put some of the bottom feeders in with him. I just recently read that someone else has theirs in a 10 gallon with bottom feeders and several plants. That individual also states that their fish is not only healthy but happy.
I want to give my baby the same life. I want to give him the biggest and best experience that his little life can have. But I want him to be healthy and I want him to be happy.
Can anyone tell me what kind of plants I'm able to put into a tank with him, what kind of gravel or sand what kind of bottom to use that works the best, and what kind of bottom feeders can he live with there's so many difference in opinions and ideas and I just don't know what's right and what's wrong. How large can I go and what's too large and what's not healthy. Also with a larger tank how big of a filter would I need or for that matter how big of a heater would I need? I've read through a lot of the forums, and there seem to be even some discrepancy between some of the betta parents on what's healthy and what's appropriate. If anybody can just give me some examples and some plants that aren't going to need to be shipped in from far away, I'd like to find some local plants I do live in Wisconsin and I'd like to get this going as soon as possible for him. thank you guys for everything that you do here and thank you for all the advice and help. God bless. Heiress

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Hi

I think a 10 gallon would be adequate for the big betta.. Could go bigger like a 15 if you want some corys too. pea gravel or play sand on the bottom, bit of bog or driftwood and rock for scape. Easiest plants from my experience is low light ones like java fern.

ValkyrieLips

Bettas can be in larger tanks, but they have to be set-up properly with a low flow filter (especially important for long finned bettas like yours), have a lot of hiding places and tall/floating plants to hide behind to help them feel secure. A 10 gallon would be good but the only corydoras you could fit in a tank that size are pygmy corydoras. Also, just be aware that not all bettas will get along with other fish so you'll need a back up plan for him if he becomes aggressive. They're territorial by nature so it's less common to find a betta that can peacefully coexist with tankmates.

Low light hardy plants you could add include anubias and java fern. Bettas also love floating plants like amazon frogbit. You can also free float other plants like water wisteria, elodea, guppy grass etc for an overgrown look in the tank.

Substrate is up to you, although sand is more natural looking imo. Also, if you do end up adding cories they'll need sand to sift through so they don't damage their barbells. Other things you can add for a more natural look include botanicals that will tint the water yellow/brown such as Indian almond leaves, driftwood, or alder cones.

Since you don't want the filter flow to be too strong you can either get an adjustable HOB filter that's rated for the tank size you're getting and baffle the flow or add some sponge filters to your tank. Regardless of what filter you use you'll have to cycle it which can be done in 1 of 2 ways: fishless or fish-in. I see your profile says you do not know about the nitrogen cycle so I would suggest researching it to gain a better understanding. There are also plenty of members on here who can help you if you have any questions about cycling.

Heater size depends on tank size. For a 10 gallon I would suggest an adjustable 50-100w heater.

Hope that helps!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips