Betta tank : Help and advice needed!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 24, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I have a beautiful veil tail betta named Steve. I'm ashamed to say that Steve has lived in an unfiltered one gallon habitat his entire life, but I'm looking to change that. Steve probably doesn't have much longer to live though, because I've had him since 2009! Nevertheless, I love bettas and even when Steve passes I want to have a betta all the time. I'm going to keep him in something rather small, but not tiny. I'm thinking 5.5 gallons. I'm wanting to plant it as well. Advice? Concerns? Comments? Please let me know what you think! I'm going to be keeping him on my desk in my room. I'm also going to keep one snail in the tank (after a while. Not at first.) and I know that 10 gallon tanks are often less expensive, but I'm wanting a 5.5 gallon, it fits better in the tiny space I have!

2. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Sounds like a upgrade to me. If you are watching the budget pick you up a 5 gallon complete set at wallmart. They are very afordable and come with a little heater, tank, hood, light and filter. Being he will be the only critter in there I am sure he will be more than happy to have the upgrade. Many people say bettas do not need a heater and this is true but they do appreciate a nice warm filtered tank just like all of his other wet friends. The container he is in now (if that is the one in your picture) is really made for hermit crabs/turtles or species that do not live in the water 100% of the time. I hope this helps and good luck with your project.

3. Jaq

Jaq Valued Member Member

I agree ^^^

Also, if you want plants, research some that are good for a small tank (assuming you want live plants). If you do get live plants, take care of them by snipping off any parts of the leaves that are browning. Your betta will love the move to a new, clean, filtered and planted tank! Good luck:)

PS: that would be a good idea to keep a snail after a while, but make sure there is enough algae for him to eat, or else he might eat your plants.

4. C

CluelessBettaOwner New Member Member

That sounds great!! I would go bigger if you can though. Make sure you get a filter and a heater. I moved my two bettas into heated filtered tanks and they are so much better! They swim around a lot and come up to me!
    Good luck with your new tank!

5. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Thanks guys! I'll go for the walmart kind probably. :) And yeah, my picture is Steve in his current home. Thanks so much!!!

6. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

I bought the 5.5 kit at Petsmart when it was last on sale, its perfect. I added some real plants & one silk plus a couple of caves & a Mystery snail. I put my oldest & least active male in it. The ONLY thing with the kit is the filter is for a 10g so a little too much current for the 5.5 but I did a couple baffle techniques & my CT is a happy camper however I'm considering a sponge filter instead.

7. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

i bought one of the fluval 5.5gallons with the internal filter and LED lighting for 80$ at petco and my betta and i are in love with it. it has a night time feature on the light which is very cool. and if you are looking for plants may i suggest some java moss and crypts i recently bought a crypt from my lfs and it is growing like crazy with no help at all from me :p

8. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Oh and one thing to add! If and when you get your snail - being it is a new tank it will not have algae for a bit so pick up what is called algae wafers. This is food for the algae eaters when algae is not yet present. I keep it all the time on hand and toss a couple in even with my established tanks just to make sure my plecos have plenty of food but in my case my cichlids eat them ugh.... but anywho! Let me know if you have any more questions! :;sman

9. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Definitely! And I'll get some algae wafers if I get the snail before there's sufficient algae growth. I'll probably get something from walmart because when I checked yesterday, it was only $30! But I don't think it came with a heater.

10. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :) I'm happy to hear you are giving Steve an upgrade I currently have two bettas one in a 5 gallon and one in a 6 gallon
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356390411.799132.jpg
    This is Mordin in his 5 gallon jungle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356390446.164577.jpg
    This is Henry in his 6 gallon with snail tankmates that he gets along famously with well unless he is stealing their algae wafers the little monkey.

I have used tetra plant complete in both and crushed coral in Henry's and Mordin has got black gravel. All the plants are live plants and thriving under led lights I don't use any other fertilisers because of the snails.

You could get low light plants to start off like anubias, java fern and they don't even need planting you can attach then to bog wood or decorations and they will grow well for you.

The plants in Henry's tank I took from other tanks and the planted ones are doing well with the tetra substrate.

Steve will love his new home and looking forward to seeing it in progress :)

11. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

IMG_20121224_134232.jpg
    Here is my 10g tank I am planning for 6 betta imbellis (the peaceful betta) it is actually maybe 5-6 gallons and right now it has anubias eye, ludwigia, rotala, Java ferns, pennywort, and some duck weed... the mangroves are in there temporarily until I get a cage made IP for them in my 29 :)

Currently it houses 1 male CT (unnamed), 2 mystery snails, and 10 baby trapdoor snails who will be moved to my pond in the spring :)

As for feeding the snail just get algae wafers or feed it blanched fresh veggies (spinach or zuccini they go GaGa for)

12. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I'm going out tomorrow to get a 5 gallon tank from walmart for Steve! It doesn't look like they come with heaters though so I'll have to get one myself. Oh well, I'll get one eventually! x)

And I think I'll go with gravel in this tank verses sand.

13. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Alright, I placed a special order on a 5.5 gallon tank combo. :)

14. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Well, Steve has passed on. I guess when I get this tank I'll also be getting a new betta.

15. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear about Steve :( but you will see how much happier a betta is in a larger tank !

16. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

17. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss:(

Here is my 6.6 gallon bookshelf with its one betta ooccupant, Draco.
    20121225_165709.jpg
    It's a bit bare at the moment since I received it two days ago, but I'm currently rinsing out the sand substrate!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice