Betta Tank Heater-Winter is Coming

sairving

I have been using a TopFin preset 20-watt heater since the summer to heat my 3-gallon tank. Fall is here and it's been getting into the 30s at night. By the morning the tank is at 76 degrees. The heater will not be able to maintain the right temperature Nov-April most likely. The tank is in my bedroom (on the northwest corner of the house) and tends to be colder than the rest of the house. The tank itself is a 9.25 x 9.25 x 9.25-inch cube, which makes it difficult to find a decent heater.

I do have a spare heater that I bought a few months back. Would adding the second heater work, even if it's preset? Should I get a higher wattage heater? I just need something for the winter. I did find this heater but I'm not sure how reliable Hygger heaters are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GF5MX4...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Initially, I bought a Hydor Theo heater but it failed right away and my attempts to contact Hydor went nowhere. I haven't had any complaints about the Petsmart brand heater. According to the reviews I have managed to find, they seem to just stop heating when they fail. I'd rather deal with cold water than cooked fish.

Imthatpeep100

sairving said:
I have been using a TopFin preset 20-watt heater since the summer to heat my 3-gallon tank. Fall is here and it's been getting into the 30s at night. By the morning the tank is at 76 degrees. The heater will not be able to maintain the right temperature Nov-April most likely. The tank is in my bedroom (on the northwest corner of the house) and tends to be colder than the rest of the house. The tank itself is a 9.25 x 9.25 x 9.25-inch cube, which makes it difficult to find a decent heater.

I do have a spare heater that I bought a few months back. Would adding the second heater work, even if it's preset? Should I get a higher wattage heater? I just need something for the winter. I did find this heater but I'm not sure how reliable Hygger heaters are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GF5MX4...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Initially, I bought a Hydor Theo heater but it failed right away and my attempts to contact Hydor went nowhere. I haven't had any complaints about the Petsmart brand heater. According to the reviews I have managed to find, they seem to just stop heating when they fail. I'd rather deal with cold water than cooked fish.
I haven't used that specific Hygger heater, but my titanium and quartz heaters have never failed me. I find them to be one of the better heaters on the market. Having an adjustable heater would be best so you can adjust it when needed. I also don't see the point of having two heaters in the tank? If the Hygger one works, why not keep it year-round? These are long-lasting heaters. I don't know if the PetSmart brand is topfin or not? I've used topfin, aqueon, and tetra. They work for the first few years then break on me. I've had multiple aqueon explode on me. My Hygger heaters are reaching 3+ years and going strong. Like most heaters though, the degrees are off by 1-2 which isn't that bad

I haven't used the following heater, but I've heard good news about it from other fishkeepers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2C4BS...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

jkkgron2

I can’t say for that exact hygger heater but the one I use is never off by more than one degree. I agree with Imthatpeep100 about the heater he linked and also about the hygger heater.

Betta'sAnonymous

I would at least go with a 50 watt preset at a minimum. I switched all my betta heaters to 50 watt adjustables this year because i wanted to be closer to 80 year round instead of the 76 or 77 they presets were giving me in the winter. Also helps we keep our house steady at 68-70 year round.

mattgirl

In my humble opinion the brand no longer seems to matter. You can buy a high dollar heater or an inexpensive heater and either can fail much sooner than they should. I have a Marineland heater in my 55 gallon tank. The first one I bought only lasted one year. Thankfully they stand behind their product. I called them, sent them a photo of the heater with the cord cut off plus a copy of my online receipt and they immediately sent me a new one.

On the other hand I have a heater in my 5.5 gallon tank that I have been using for many many years and it still works perfectly. When I say many I mean at least 20 years. The brand is Radiant. I am not sure they are even on the market now. One thing I will recommend is getting one with temp control. The only tank I run a preset heater in is my small shrimp bowl and it is only a 25watt heater.

I just bought a couple of backup heaters of various wattages for different size tanks. I now have replacements for each of my tanks. I just bought the inexpensive heaters from a . They are actually cheap enough to have several backups in case of failure. I have come to expect failures after a year of use and am pleasantly surprised when they last longer. Once upon a time we could depend on things lasting but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case anymore no matter how much you pay for them.

sairving

Imthatpeep100 said:
I haven't used that specific Hygger heater, but my titanium and quartz heaters have never failed me. I find them to be one of the better heaters on the market. Having an adjustable heater would be best so you can adjust it when needed. I also don't see the point of having two heaters in the tank? If the Hygger one works, why not keep it year-round? These are long-lasting heaters. I don't know if the PetSmart brand is topfin or not? I've used topfin, aqueon, and tetra. They work for the first few years then break on me. I've had multiple aqueon explode on me. My Hygger heaters are reaching 3+ years and going strong. Like most heaters though, the degrees are off by 1-2 which isn't that bad

I haven't used the following heater, but I've heard good news about it from other fishkeepers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2C4BS...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
mattgirl said:
In my humble opinion the brand no longer seems to matter. You can buy a high dollar heater or an inexpensive heater and either can fail much sooner than they should. I have a Marineland heater in my 55 gallon tank. The first one I bought only lasted one year. Thankfully they stand behind their product. I called them, sent them a photo of the heater with the cord cut off plus a copy of my online receipt and they immediately sent me a new one.

On the other hand I have a heater in my 5.5 gallon tank that I have been using for many many years and it still works perfectly. When I say many I mean at least 20 years. The brand is Radiant. I am not sure they are even on the market now. One thing I will recommend is getting one with temp control. The only tank I run a preset heater in is my small shrimp bowl and it is only a 25watt heater.

I just bought a couple of backup heaters of various wattages for different size tanks. I now have replacements for each of my tanks. I just bought the inexpensive heaters from a . They are actually cheap enough to have several backups in case of failure. I have come to expect failures after a year of use and am pleasantly surprised when they last longer. Once upon a time we could depend on things lasting but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case anymore no matter how much you pay for them.
I've looked at a few heaters on ebay. They're cheap enough I could buy 2 and keep one as a spare.

sairving

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I would at least go with a 50 watt preset at a minimum. I switched all my betta heaters to 50 watt adjustables this year because i wanted to be closer to 80 year round instead of the 76 or 77 they presets were giving me in the winter. Also helps we keep our house steady at 68-70 year round.
We generally keep the house between 70-72 during the day and 69 at night. Unfortunately, the bedroom runs a few degrees cooler.

Betta'sAnonymous

sairving said:
We generally keep the house between 70-72 during the day and 69 at night. Unfortunately, the bedroom runs a few degrees cooler.
Our bedroom feels like its 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house in winter. I open the door to visit the bathroom and start out dripping sweat and hypothermic by the time i get back lol

sairving

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Our bedroom feels like its 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house in winter. I open the door to visit the bathroom and start out dripping sweat and hypothermic by the time i get back lol
We have one bathroom that's warmer than the rest of the house because we keep the door closed. It's hot in the winter and cold when the A/C is on. No idea why the thermostat for the house was put right where the duct for the heat/AC is.

Top Bottom