Betta tank heater curse?

Tikkakoski

Hello all,

In the span of a week I've gone through testing three (you read that right, three) heaters in the quest to keep my little betta Bee from becoming a fish popsicle. I will start out by saying my tank is a 5 gallon Marineland portrait that I cannibalized into 5.5-6 gallons when I removed the filter chamber. I also do not live in the Arctic...(East Coast United States) and keep my home at 69 degrees Farenheit during the winter months.

Last week my Hydor 25W heater decided it no longer wanted to keep being warm at 79 degrees (my normal temperature) and crapped out. No problem...I went to Petsmart and purchased a Top Fin 50W preset heater (before reading reviews that they are famous for not working...I know). Once realizing that did absolutely nothing I checked the temperature of the tank and saw the water was down to 69 degrees...YIKES! I immediately put a heating pad around my tank and went back to the store to purchase an Aqueon 50W adjustable heater. That increased the temperature up to 73 degrees which I know is still not warm enough. I then purchased a replacement Hydor from Amazon which arrived today. That model was originally successful at keeping my tank at 79 degrees over the summer months (I keep my apartment 72 in the summer for the record) but plugging the heater in today the light is on indicating that the heater is working and by itself the Hydor alone kept the tank temp at 73 degrees. I currently have the Aqueon heater and the Hydor in the tank at the same time and the temperature is slowly crawling above 73 but is this normal? I know that colder temperatures may require additional heat and that wattage for a 5 gallon may need extra support but this seems like an awful lot. Any recommendations on what to do next? I know that a temperature below 78 is not good for a betta and I don't want this to cause any long term damage

Thanks in advance,

Tikka

Cichlidude

Please wait at least 24-48 hours for the heat to stabilize.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
55 Gallon Tank Eheim Heater Wattage
  • Gameynerd23
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
  • UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views