Betta Tank Filtration

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey, ok, I've got my Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, but no filtration. I was treating him for dropsy, but I'm not sure if he has it now because, well, frankly he's still alive and it's been a few weeks. He still has a large abdomen, but he eats fine, he's not lethargic and he seems happier than ever now that I have him in the 2.5 gallon alone. So, as long as we are keeping him comfortable in there, are there any filtration systems for the 2.5 gallon that doesn't make the water move all crazy. I've noticed he prefers, well, little to no water movement. I don't mind doing the water changes, I just think he would do better with some filtration.

Joe

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use home-made sponge filters and they work great. Any sort of air driven filter would be fine since you can adjust the flow simply by putting a valve in. Best of luck with you're poor guy

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use home-made sponge filters and they work great. Any sort of air driven filter would be fine since you can adjust the flow simply by putting a valve in. Best of luck with you're poor guy
Hey how do you make one? I'll check the DIY section, but just in case it's not in there.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just slice a hole in the center of an AquaClear sponge (the one's for the AC 30 is my favorite but the AC 20's will work it) with a pair of sissors and then put an airstone in. Sometimes the sponges won't stay down at the bottom of the tank right away so I'll put some rocks on the top of the sponge.
What you can do is use some uplift tubing (like they use with UGF's) in then put in the airstone, the tubing creates more lift in the water and makes it a more efficient filter. However I've never done so.
I'll see if I can find a pic of any of mine.

EDIT:
Here's a picture of one that I used while I QT'd my White Cloud Minnows

Attachments

Last edited:

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh ok that looks pretty easy. And you say they make valves that can slow the air flow a bit?

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah when you buy your airline tubing you can buy valves and all you do is cut the tubing and insert the valve and you can control the flow of air.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i think the air control valves are called gang valves. i use them and they work well. well i haven't used a sponge filter before....but i there is a whisper 3i that would work. it's an internal filter. i have a 10i on a 10g divided betta tank. it is gentle.....i still do have to put some filter media(sponge) where the water comes out to diffuse it more. if it weren't divided probably not though. but lancelot has the filter on his side and it's a bit much for just his half.

but probably the sponge filter, or diy sponge, or the 3i would be best....that i know of

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use the Palm/Azoo Mini filters. I buy them from Drs. Foster and Smith online. They're not expensive, they have adjustable flow, and very quiet! I also do add extra filter media to the outflow area to diffuse the water.

-Tony

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow Red, I never realised that the sponge filters could be so simple! I just never though that an airstone in a sponge would be as easy and effective as it is. I thought it involved tubes and stuff!

(Only prob, how do we know the gph and filtration rate for the tank size lol, jk!!)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also recommend the azoo palm filter ($9). its also sold as red sea nano filter, or something like that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom