Betta Tank Decision

potter

So I'm taking in a betta from someone that has been too busy with school and work. He lives in a 10 gallon with guppies and RCS at the moment and is as docile as can be.

Question is, I do have a spare 10 gallon but he'd be in one of the rooms where I won't be able to spend much time with the fish during the week with work. Also if I can't find a stand the tank will be on the carpet but there isn't much going on in the room during the day so he won't be shocked anyways.

Alternatively I could also get a 5 gallon which I'd have to purchase used for $20 because Petsmart in my area doesn't carry new basic 5 gallon tank anymore and I already have a filter and heater so I don't want to buy the kit. The good thing about the 5 gallon is I can set him up on the bathroom counter where I'd see the fish more each day but I'd be cutting his space in half of what he's used to right now.

What do you guys think? Let me know your opinions. Any input is welcomed!

Jakkie

I personally would do what I could to keep the betta in a 10g. They really do thrive with more space.

Anders247

I disagree, you are running a big risk with a betta and guppies together in a 10g. I'd move it into the 5g.

potter

Anders247 said:
I disagree, you are running a big risk with a betta and guppies together in a 10g. I'd move it into the 5g.
Erm you do need to read what I typed. I'm planning to keep him by himself. The person having him right now is keeping him with guppies.

Anders247

potter said:
Erm you do need to read what I typed. I'm planning to keep him by himself. The person having him right now is keeping him with guppies.
Oh, I'm sorry haha. I did read that wrong. It's really up to you then, I think either way is fine, if you want to see it more often than you can go the 5 gallon route.

Guppygirl88

I 'm betting the fish would trade less space for more interaction besides I've always found guppies to be too taxing a tankmate for bettas they are semI nocturnal and bettas rest when the lights go out.

potter

Guppygirl88 said:
I 'm betting the fish would trade less space for more interaction besides I've always found guppies to be too taxing a tankmate for bettas they are semI nocturnal and bettas rest when the lights go out.
Again, I don't plan to keep him with anything else. I'm still pretty conflicted about 5 gallon with more interaction vs 10 gallon with less interaction.

Guppygirl88

potter said:
Again, I don't plan to keep him with anything else. I'm still pretty conflicted about 5 gallon with more interaction vs 10 gallon with less interaction.
Read up on bettas you'll see soon enough that "fish" is highly human oriented,very intelligent and even trainable. Spend some time with him and I guarantee he'll go from being that "fish" to having a name. There's a reason we've all named our bettas

potter

Guppygirl88 said:
Read up on bettas you'll see soon enough that "fish" is highly human oriented,very intelligent and even trainable. Spend some time with him and I guarantee he'll go from being that "fish" to having a name. There's a reason we've all named our bettas
It's him for now because I haven't picked him up yet and he's not with me yet so I don't have a name yet. I'm just trying to get his tank ready before I pick him up. His name can come after.

He's not my first betta; I've had many before in the past 40 years but I've never had one that came from a 10 gallon from a previous owner that I'm most likely going to have to downsize to a 5 gallon.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom