Betta Tank And Light

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm planning to set up a divided betta tank and I'm thinking 10 gallons since I'm in college and need to save space. I was wondering if a 5000k (I know 6500k is best) led bulb in one of those work lamps would be okay for a plant like Anubis. I cant find 6500k but I'll look at other stores in my area if this light won't do. Is there any other plants someone thinks will fit in the tank I would like places hide as I'm going to get shrimp (Hoping they won't become a betta snack). An additional option could be CFL if that would be a better alternative.

Last edited:

Kody Grieve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you probably shouldn't be dividing a tank that small especially if you're going to put other species in along with the betta. and i know anubias aren't super low light although they may survive, you're unlikely to get a thriving plant with the light you specify.

i know you didnt ask but i would reconsider your plans for your tank. trust me when i say keeping it simple is the best way to go, you wont run into as many problems in the long run. ive got a nice planted and aquascaped 15g with a betta and a school of copper harlequin rasboras and pygmy cories. its fantastic. never felt the need for more than one betta lol.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im always open to new plans on a tank if its better for the fish. So you're saying the 10 gallon should be dedicated to a single betta would these be okay tank mates: shrimp and a clam? I would like to add pygmy Cory's but I've been reading they need at least 15 gallons. The website I used to rate lighting estimated a CFL light to be more than sufficient but I always like to ask for second opinions.

Last edited:

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn’t do any Cory’s as a betta fish shouldn’t really be kept with any other types of fish in anything less than 20 gallons. Shrimp and snails can happily live in a 10 gallon with a betta fish, I’m not sure about clams though! I’ve not seen many people talk about them.

But if you plan on splitting your 10 gallon and having a betta on each side, that would be perfectly fine too. I just wouldn’t add anything other than the two betta fish though. Shrimp and snails may be referred to as a clean up crew, but in my personal experience - they just make small tanks an absolute mess. Especially snails.

My anubias grew fine with a crappy LED light from Amazon so I think you’ll be fine with the light you’ve chosen. A better one is always great, but I think it’ll do the job. Java fern is pretty low light and it grows fairly well. My water wisteria does well too but I just leave that float in my tank because my snail will eat it otherwise.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't really care for snails and prefer shrimp as they have more personality to them. If I do divided then I would likely change my plans to just the bettas and if it's approved by someone maybe 2 clams(1 per side) as they tend to lay under the sand yet still help clean the water.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't really care for snails and prefer shrimp as they have more personality to them. If I do divided then I would likely change my plans to just the bettas and if it's approved by someone maybe 2 clams(1 per side) as they tend to lay under the sand yet still help clean the water.
Shrimp may work, but seeing my 5 gallon with my betta, it doesn’t seem like much floor space for shrimp. I don’t see much harm in clams, depending on how large they get.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Liveaquaria says the clams get up to 2 inches. It would be easier to check my stock if AqAdvisor had a choice for clams. Thinking about it in a divided tank it could become an issue if it is heavily planted as the clam might go under the plants.

Last edited:

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Liveaquaria says the clams get up to 2 inches. It would be easier to check my stock if AqAdvisor had a choice for clams. Thinking about it in a divided tank it could become an issue if it is heavily planted as the clam might go under the plants.
That’s for sure, and 2 inches is pretty massive for a 5 gallon. I have a snail about the size of a golf ball and a half in my 5 gallon tank with my betta and he’s just far too massive for such a small tank, but he was a rescue so what can ya’ do. Without it being divided I would say a clam would work, but being divided in to two 5 gallons seems a bit tight for a two inch clam haha

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I started to plan out alittle more. If I do divided I will likely have just the bettas as most things will fill up a 5 gallons. If I do a full tank I will likely do 1 betta, shrimp, and a clam.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom