10 Gallon Tank Betta tank advice

Rosemoss

Hello! I’m setting up my second freshwater tank and plan on housing a single male betta. I’m wondering if and how many corys I can add to a 10 gal? In my 20 gal long I have 6, would ten be too small? Any recommendations for “cleaners” or other friends that can be housed in a 10 gal? I know it will depend on how aggressive the guy is, but just to get the wheels turning! I know for sure I’ll have a single mystery snail. Thank you I’m advance!

IntegralGuy

I reccomend Pygmy Corydoras for cleaners in a 10 gallon. They're very little so you can get an appropriate school (6+). Mystery snails are a bit messy, so keep an eye on parameters and use aqadvisor to see what your stocking is and get an idea of how many water changes to do and how many cories you could fit. Especially with a betta, a snail, and cories, your gonna want to get an idea of your stocking level. Pygmies are good for a 10 gallon, wouldn't recommend other cories, as you couldn't really make a large enough group.

Bettas can be a bit mean sometimes too, so see how nice your betta is, it may harass your snail. I thought my cichlid was totally chill until he started harassing a new snail I added. Depends on the personality of the fish.

One more thing. It may seem like it sucks if you can't keep a mystery snail with your betta, but honestly I think it's super cool that some fish will harass other snails and others won't, and even some species that usually harass snails, may not, just due to the personality of the fishm really shows how much personality one fish can have. I was bummed I couldn't keep snails with my cichlid, but that's how I like to think of it.

CrackerboxPalace

Agreed pygmy corydoras are the only cory species I would add to a 10gal. You could have a group of 6-8 plus a betta, just make sure the betta isn't aggressive to them. There is no such thing as a "cleaning fish", they will eat scraps but they need a proper food too. They also won't eat algae. So make sure you're feeding your corys a good diet - sinking, meaty foods are best.

IntegralGuy

Agreed pygmy corydoras are the only cory species I would add to a 10gal. You could have a group of 6-8 plus a betta, just make sure the betta isn't aggressive to them. There is no such thing as a "cleaning fish", they will eat scraps but they need a proper food too. They also won't eat algae. So make sure you're feeding your corys a good diet - sinking, meaty foods are best.
Forgot to mention that. Pygmies are tiny so your betta may harass them. Keep an eye on them for sure.

Rosemoss

Thank you all!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Poll
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies