Betta Tail Types

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hey all, I am currently slowly starting to get all the supplies needed to start up a betta tank. I wanted to start looking at the different tail types to decide on which one I might want to get. As I was glancing at the forums I remember reading that there are some types you want to avoid due to health problems and gene mutations. The problem is I can’t remember were in the forums I was reading this which brings me to my question. What betta types should be avoided when looking to purchase a betta?

2. H

HuliJing New Member Member

The only tail type I'm aware of that is somewhat known to have health issues are double tails. They tend to have short bodies and I've heard can get swim bladder disease or bloat easier because of this. Although I've owned double tails before and have never had this issue even while caring for them like any other betta. Any betta with large fins are more susceptible to damage from fin rot, rigid decor/plants or flaring too much. They can also reach around their body and bite off their own cadual fin as apposed to plakats or females that don't have large enough fins to do this. It's not a super common behavior but does happen occasionally. Some rosetails aka feathertails may grow cadual fins that're too heavy for them to support and may have a more difficult time swimming. This is the same with some dumbos as well. Sometimes a dumbo's pectoral fins can grow too large for them to swim as well as they normally would. A dumbo's pectoral fins will also be susceptible to damage like ripping or rot.

veiltails and plakats seem to be the most long lived from what I've heard

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

There are some with challenges, like the rosetail betta, he has to carry around a long tail which can frustrate him and cause him to tail bite. I know dragonscales eventually turn blind due to their scales over lapping their eyes. That’s all I know of. You shouldn’t avoid them, just work around them.

4. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

5. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

Any long finned betta are prone to fin rot. I would avoid rosetails. I think a plakat would be a good choice since they less prone to illnesses and diseases but crown tails and Vail tails are also good types to have

6. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

Halfmoons can be hard as well. I'd say anything with a tail smaller than a delta would be good. So avoid rosetails, over-halfmoons, halfmoons, and deltas. Plus any of those weird mixes like comb/sun tails. I have had two bettas so far. The halfmoon that I had for two and a quarter years, he was decently active but it seemed like I was battling fin rot every other month. Didn't bother me too much because he had a smaller tank (easier water changes) and the rot kinda halted when I upgraded to a 20 long. BUT...as he got older, his tail did get more ragged and didn't heal. He looked rough...and he was blind.
    My new plakat on the other hand....I've had him for about two months and I can hardly take any pictures of him. He's very fast and active, I would highly suggest at least a 10 gallon for these guys.
    I think tails like crowns, veils, plakats, etc. are better off for beginners.

7. OP
    OP
    W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Thank you guys for all the information. It was the rosetail and drangonscale bettas that I was reading about. I just couldn’t remember their names. It almost seems like all tail types have their own issues, or is it mainly fin rot that is a problem with halfmoons and some of the other tail types?

Plakat bettas sound like they would be fun to own, but I only have room for a 5.5 gallon tank. If they are better off in a tank bigger than that I will probably pass on them for the time being.

8. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

Fin rot mainly affects the bigger fins. They could bite them, the longer fins get torn easier. I also believe it is harder to get water to circulate as good around the fins of halfmoons and rosetails and such.

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Even though dragonscales aren't technically a fin type, not all will get 'diamond eyes'. A vast majority wont, it really depends.

A good indication us to look at the eye, if theres a small bit growing over it so that the eye isnt a perfect circle, it has the potential to get scale growth over the eye... I say potential, case just like people some grow slow, others rapid and others yet again have growth for a while and then stop...

In some, the scale can make them completely blind, and in others they can still detect movement - most likely have light perception....

Having had a diamond eye betta, they not hard to care for. The learn how to navigate the tank with ease, and can easily smell out the food. They require no special consideration IMO.