Betta Tail NOT cooperating.

KatieLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! This is my Combtail betta Pluto. I raised him from a baby that I got a petco. His tail when its full is halfway between a crowntail and a regular.

Starting in March of 2020 I noticed he had a small tear in his fin, it looked like fin rot so I treated it as such, it went away for a couple weeks then immediately came back. I have done ALL the things they say to do to treat fin rot. 4Different types of medicine, water changes, everything, and I cannot for the life of me get his tail back to what its supposed to look like.
And this morning I woke up to these huge splits/tears in his back fins that were not there when I went to bed. his only other tank mates are snails so I know they didn’t do it. I am just at a loss, I don’t know how to fix his fins, I am terrified of giving him medicine because I don’t want it to hurt him, he acts just fine, always playing along the glass with the Betta next to him(seperate tank)

tank size: 3.5gallon with filter
ammonia & nitrates: below 1
temperature: 78-80degrees
ph:7

any suggestions or advice are WELCOMED!

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
An uncovered filter intake is known to tear up a betta's fins. Look into getting a cover or go the diy route.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, that filter intake should have something ober it. I have use a piece of pantyhose and rubberband in the past with good success. At the least, yiu will be able to rule that out for future tail damage. At best, that is what's causing problems and it will be rectified by the pantyhose.

New Threads