Betta tail darkening?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fishcrazy99, Jul 15, 2015.

1. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Was wondering if this is fin rot or if he is just getting more pigment. Ive had him a few months. The edges of his fin are turning a grey color. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437021804.537002.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437021816.671336.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

What are the ammonia, nitrite, and pH levels? Do you know your TDS?

3. OP
    OP
    f

fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40-80 (same color so not very specific)
    Dont know TDS. I will be doing a water change probably today. I recently removed his platty tank mates to go into a breeding tank

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ideally you need to keep nitrates below 40, so I would recommend bigger or more frequent water changes.

5. OP
    OP
    f

fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Im aware. It just was the tank on least priority when i was changing 35 gallons minimum on other tanks once a week. Thats not including my other two tanks that need changed. Looks like i will be changing 47 gallons today, oh boy

6. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

lol yeah water changes are a pain. I have to do changes on all of my 9 "big" tanks today, plus a series of small changes on the betta barracks.

I'm sure your guy will be fine, especially now that he's alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice