Betta Tail Biting

1. Cool Ranch

Cool Ranch New Member Member

My betta is a half-moon betta and lately I've been noticing his tail was dissapearing in "chunks". I did some research and assumed he was biting himself. I treated him with some medication to fight off infections and change his water at least once a week. I just want some suggestions on how to get him to stop biting and how to repair his tail.

Details:
    Tank size- 2.5 gal.
    Decor- 1 marimo moss and malasiya red aquatic plant (no gravel)
    Meds- Betta-fix by API
    Filter- Whisper In-take Filter 3i

If you need any more details about the tank or my betta please ask! :)

2. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi :) Welcome!

I have a few questions for you. What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? It will show if your tank is cycled or if you are having trouble with a parameter. High ammonia levels can burn fish.

How long have you had him?

How often do you perform water changes? Pristine water (75+% changes daily) helps healing.

Have you even seen him actually bite his tail?

Do the ends appear shredded, red, grey, black? It could be a sign on fin rot.

Do you have a photo?

Thanks!x

3. OP
    OP
    Cool Ranch

I don't have any readings currently because I don't have time to run to the pet store to test it. :/
    I have had him since mid-June and I have seen him attempt to bite his tail. The tail ends don't seem to be shredded but are cut inbetween the rays and seem to be missing chunks. I do about 40-60 % water changes every 3-4 days.

Update: I have been feeding him a bit more (3-4 "pebbles" and a small flake) because I have read they bite themselves when they are hungry. I also did a 100% water change yesterday.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope this helps. :)

4. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

@ Poeticinjustices and @ _Fried_Bettas_
    Do you have any advice on this tail biter?

5. OP
    OP
    Cool Ranch

Cool Ranch, my betta, is doing much better today after some small changes. :) I just wanted to know if it is normal for my betta to flare his gills at me randomly.

6. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Flaring is completely normal. Tail biting is a tough habit to break, sometimes putting something in the tank to entertain them stops the behavior.