Betta Swollen Lower Lip and White Bump

1. BettaOtto Member Member

After watching an Oto for two weeks at Petco, I got him home and that's where the diseases started breaking out after he died three weeks after I got him home.

Can anyone tell me if I'm treating it right? Betta started having this white bump in his mouth on his lower lip. And his lower lip is swollen, he cannot close his mouth, always open. Yesterday there was a white tiny parasite looking worm on Betta's head and sometimes go into his gills. I managed to get the worm off with a hydrogen peroxide q-tips since I have no tweezers and everything was closed. I quarantined him in a 1g bowl with a little live plants and a silk plant. Added 1/8 tsp salt, and he looked a little better the next day. Or maybe I'm just imagining things. I bought Melafix and added a few drops and hope it helps Betta.

The main tank only has a ghost shrimp and an oto. They both looked unaffected, so I only did a 50% water change and added 1/4 tsp of salt.

Here's a pic of Betta's mouth. [​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If you're concerned about parasites, then your best bet is a proper parasite medication. Since it was in the main tank you'll want to treat in there. Being in a bowl, presumably unheated and unfiltered, will be stressful for your Betta which could leave him open to other diseases. Be very careful with Melafix as it can harm the Betta's labyrinth organ.

3. BettaOtto Member Member

Any recommendations for proper parasite medication that's okay to use on my otocinclus and ghost shrimp? Should I lower my dosage for Melafix or just not use it at all? Thank you!

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately I have no experience with ottos or parasites but there are lots of people here who do.
    TexasDomer, do you know about ottos and medication?

5. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

PraziPro at least should be fine for otos too. Haven't looked up info on Levamisole and scaleless fish, so I don't know about that one.

7. BettaOtto Member Member

As it turns out, my Betta has dropsy. I thought I nursed it back to life, and he was all great until a month later today Betta is obviously pine coning, lethargic, no appetite. I read that there isn't a cure for it, and it's painful for the fish so euthanasia should be appropriate at this point. Any suggestions?

8. BettaOtto Member Member

Here is a picture. Ugh, it must be from the one sick oto I bought from Petco. Never ever would I buy another livestock from Petco.

[​IMG]

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry x

If you wanted to try to nurse him back to health again, it may help him to have Epsom salt baths. Not aquarium salt, they'll add to the bloating! Epsom salts have the opposite effect to aquarium salt and draw fluids out of the cells which can help make him more comfortable.

10. BettaOtto Member Member

My betta is not bloating at all, only pine-coning. Could it be that it's not dropsy since he's not bloating?

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

12. BettaOtto Member Member

I read that Maracyn TC tetracycline have successfully cured dropsy SOMEtimes. But I read more failure than success. Anyone have tried it?